1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Earth Force

1. Jun 29, 2005 #1
    Hi,

If at a particular time, I have the r distance from the Sun to Earth, the value of the velocity of Earth, and the angle between the velocity vector and the r vector, how can I calculate the force that Earth has regarding the tangent? Suppose I wanted to go againts the movement of the Earth. Which force should I go against and how do I calculate it?

Kind regards,

Kepler

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2005 #2
    In a direction tangential to its orbit , earth has an obital velocity vector prependicular to the vector 'r' . This velocity vector can be calculated easily.

Considering the system to be considering only of Sun and Earth , therefore , Sun's gravitational pull provides the necessary centripedal force :

[itex]

\frac {GMm}{r^2} = \frac {mv^2}{r}
    [/itex]

Calculate the velocity from here . This the velocity you have to counteract by going against the motion of earth. To bring earth to rest , you can calculate the work needed by the work-energy principle.

BJ

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook