How Do You Calculate the Force Earth Exerts Tangentially?

In summary, to calculate the force that Earth has regarding the tangent, you would need to use the equation GMm/r^2 = mv^2/r and solve for the velocity. To go against the movement of the Earth, you would need to counteract the orbital velocity and calculate the work needed using the work-energy principle.
kepler
Hi,

If at a particular time, I have the r distance from the Sun to Earth, the value of the velocity of Earth, and the angle between the velocity vector and the r vector, how can I calculate the force that Earth has regarding the tangent? Suppose I wanted to go againts the movement of the Earth. Which force should I go against and how do I calculate it?

Kind regards,

Kepler

Physics news on Phys.org
In a direction tangential to its orbit , Earth has an obital velocity vector prependicular to the vector 'r' . This velocity vector can be calculated easily.

Considering the system to be considering only of Sun and Earth , therefore , Sun's gravitational pull provides the necessary centripedal force :

[itex]

\frac {GMm}{r^2} = \frac {mv^2}{r}
[/itex]

Calculate the velocity from here . This the velocity you have to counteract by going against the motion of earth. To bring Earth to rest , you can calculate the work needed by the work-energy principle.

BJ

Hi Kepler,

To calculate the force that Earth has regarding the tangent, you will need to use Newton's second law of motion, which states that force equals mass times acceleration (F = ma). In this case, the mass of Earth will be constant, so we will only need to calculate the acceleration.

To do this, we can use the formula for centripetal acceleration, which is a = v^2/r. Here, v is the velocity of Earth and r is the distance from the Sun to Earth. Once you have calculated the acceleration, you can plug it into the formula F = ma to find the force that Earth has regarding the tangent.

If you wanted to go against the movement of the Earth, you would need to apply a force in the opposite direction of the Earth's velocity vector. This means you would need to apply a force in the direction opposite to the angle between the velocity vector and the r vector. To calculate the magnitude of this force, you can use the same formula F = ma, but this time, use the negative value of the acceleration. This will give you the force needed to go against the movement of the Earth.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the formula for calculating Earth's force?

The formula for calculating Earth's force is F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

2. How is the gravitational constant determined?

The gravitational constant, G, is determined through experiments and observations. It is a fundamental constant of the universe and has been found to be approximately 6.674 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2.

3. Can Earth's force vary at different points on the surface?

Yes, Earth's force can vary at different points on the surface due to variations in the mass and distance of objects. For example, gravity is slightly stronger at the poles compared to the equator due to the flattening of the Earth's shape.

4. How does the force of other celestial bodies affect Earth's force?

The force of other celestial bodies, such as the Moon and the Sun, can affect Earth's force through gravitational pull. This is what causes tides on Earth's oceans, and also helps keep the Earth in its stable orbit around the Sun.

5. How is Earth's force related to the weight of an object?

Earth's force is directly related to the weight of an object. Weight is the measure of the force of gravity acting on an object's mass, and on Earth's surface it is equal to the mass of an object multiplied by the force of gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s^2.