Understanding the Components of Electric Charge Equation

In summary, electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that can be either positive or negative and is measured in units of Coulombs (C). The formula for calculating electric charge is Q = n * e, where Q represents the total charge, n represents the number of charged particles, and e represents the elementary charge. The electric charge of an object can be calculated by multiplying its capacitance (C) by its voltage (V), expressed as Q = C * V. Electric charge and electric current are different in that charge is a static property while current is a dynamic one. In a closed system, electric charge is conserved and can only be transferred from one object to another, following the law of conservation of charge in electromagnetism."
tchounkovskii

Homework Statement

The question lies in the equation, I do not understand where the SQRT of 3Q or the 2L^2 is coming from?

Can somebody help me with this? The professor kinda breezed by this but I cannot find a valid explanation anywhere!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 392
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like they are breaking the electric field vector into its x and y components. Knowing a little bit of trig you get cos(30) = sqrt(3)/2 and sin(30) = 1/2.

oh ok, see...i didn't take trig in HS :( I should have known better..oh well. thanks for the help.

What is electric charge?

Electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that determines how it interacts with other matter and electromagnetic fields. It can be either positive or negative and is measured in units of Coulombs (C).

What is the formula for calculating electric charge?

The formula for calculating electric charge is Q = n * e, where Q represents the total charge, n represents the number of charged particles, and e represents the elementary charge, which is 1.602 x 10^-19 C.

How do you calculate the electric charge of an object?

The electric charge of an object can be calculated by multiplying the object's capacitance (C) by its voltage (V). This formula is expressed as Q = C * V.

What is the difference between electric charge and electric current?

Electric charge is a measure of the amount of electricity an object possesses, while electric current is the rate at which electric charge flows through a material. In other words, charge is a static property, while current is a dynamic one.

How is electric charge conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, electric charge is conserved, meaning it cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transferred from one object to another. This is known as the law of conservation of charge, which is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism.