1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating electric field at a point due to 2 charges

1. Jun 27, 2005 #1
    Hello everyone, I'm just starting this problem and i'm already confused. I'm suppose to calculat the electric feild at the point P(x =3, y = 3) due to two charges, q1 = 4.0x10^-6C at the origin, and q2 = -3.0x10^-6C at x = 3.0m.

I'll try and draw the diagram.

....................................^ E1
    .................................../
    ................................../
    ................................./
    ...............................(P)
    ................................|
    ................................|
    ................................v E2

(q1).........................(q2)

How did they know E2 will be point downard and E1 would be diagnoal like that? :bugeye: Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Insights Author

Decompose each vector in the two perpendicular components and add those 2 vectors using components.At the end,you'll have to use Pythagora's theorem to find the modulus,knowing the components.

Daniel.

4. Jun 27, 2005 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The charge q2 is negative and directly below the point P; so the field E2 points straight down (towards q2).

Similarly, the field (E1) from q1, a positive charge, points away from q1 towards P, thus is at a diagonal. (What angle does it make with the x-axis?)

5. Jun 27, 2005 #4
    I don't know, but you can just add the two electric fields together separately. The electric field at distance r is:

E(r) = Q/(4*pi*e0*r^2), where e0 is the permittivity of free space (8.854*10^-12).

At P, r from the charge q1 is 4.24 (root of 2*3^2), while r at P from q2 is 3. Calculate these two fields, add 'em together. Remember that the two fields aren't pointing in the same direction though - the y part of the field due to q1 can be added to the field due to q2, but not the x part.

6. Jun 27, 2005 #5
    ahh i remember now! Sorry its been a year since i took this course and i forgot literally everything. It will make a 45 degree angle. I ended up getting the answer! thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?