Calculating Electric Field Energy

In summary, the problem is asking for the electric field energy for an electron and proton assuming they have a uniform charge.
Does anyone know how to calculate Electric Field Energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
bertholf07,

It is generally best to post the entire problem you're having trouble with, followed by your thoughts or attempts at a solution, followed by any specific questions you have.

- Warren

Ok we are given that it deals with the classical hydrogen atom and it has a single electron fixed in orbit aroudn the proton with the bohr radius which is 5.29E-11m. We were told to find the Electrical Force, The Gravitational Force, The ratio of those forces, The velocity of the electron, The electrical potential arising from the proton, The electrical potential energy, and the total mechanical and electrical energy. I found all these with no problems but than it goes on to say "An improvement of this classical mechanical model of the atom involves the energy density of the electric field in a region of space. Find the total electric field energy for the electon and proton assuming that each one has a radius of 1.00E-15" That is where I don't know what to do I know how to find the energy density but that is not what he is asking. Do I need to find the electric field or what?

Yes, you need to find the electric field. It looks like you are asked to assume that the electron and proton are uniformly charged spheres, and required to calculate the electric fields using Gauss' Law and superposition. The energy density at a point can be calculated from the field there. I'm sure your text has a section on the energy density.

Yes it does that a section on energy density I have read over it a few times just could not figure it out. I believe I will be able to figure it out from there Thanks Alot

Last edited:

1. What is electric field energy?

Electric field energy is the amount of potential energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is also known as electrostatic potential energy.

2. How do you calculate electric field energy?

The formula for calculating electric field energy is E = qV, where E is the electric field energy, q is the charge of the particle, and V is the electric potential at the position of the charged particle.

3. What are the units of electric field energy?

Electric field energy is measured in joules (J), which is the standard unit for energy.

4. Can electric field energy be negative?

Yes, electric field energy can be negative. This occurs when the charged particle is moving from a higher potential to a lower potential, resulting in a decrease in its potential energy.

5. How does distance affect electric field energy?

The electric field energy is inversely proportional to the distance between the charged particle and the source of the electric field. As the distance increases, the electric field energy decreases.

Suggested for: Calculating Electric Field Energy

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies