Calculating Electric field strength

In summary, the physics professor is asking for someone to varify the electric field at a distance r from a cylindrical gaussian surface, under three conditions. 1) with a constant charge density, 2) with a charge density of A/r and 3) with a charge density of Ar, where r is a variable distance. The student is having trouble with the final algebraic remanipulation and substitution. The electric field is evaluated only within a closed surface. If the charge distribution is finite, the student has to specify a length L for each concentric cylinder. The problem is that the student realized two of the three integrals reduced to 2piL, which makes sense.
DaMastaofFisix
Alright everyone, normally I am prett good with electrostatics, butlately...I've been in a serious rut. My physics professor has asked us to varify the electric field at a distance r from a cylindrical gaussian surface, under three conditions. 1) with a constant chrage density, 2) with a charge density of A/r and 3) with a charge density of Ar, where r is a variable distance and A is a constant.
Now in aware that in order to get the charge within a surface, i need to integrate the density by the differential volume which is equal to r*dr*dphi*dz. This happens to be a triple integral. I even now the Gaussian law and such. The problem lies in the final algebraic remanipulation and substitution. I am getting either anomalies or nonsensical answers. Will someone show me the LIGHT!?

Physics news on Phys.org
why not put the tripple integral in maple or matlab? or do you have to evaluate by hand?

Is this an infinitely long cylinder?
If so, is there some symmetry you can exploit?
You may be able to translate your problem into a simpler one.

NO no. I'm afriad I have to do the math by hand and the electric field is evaluated only within a closed surface. This is a finite cylinder which apparently makes the mathe easier. I've been working on it still but the answers sometimes differ. I don't know whether it is more elegant to leave the desnity in the answer or to write the E-field as a function of Q,r,L and so on. I'm almost there, I just need another kick start. Help will be greatly appreciated.

This is what I picture about your problem. Tell me if this is correct.

Since the charge density is only a function of r (not z or theta), you have been given an infinitely long cylindrically symmetric charge distribution. [If the charge distribution is finite, you need to specify, say, a length L. Then, of course, it's not technically cylindrically symmetric since the charge density depends on z.]

the electric field at a distance r from a cylindrical gaussian surface
When using Gauss's law, you determine the electric field ON the [mathematical] gaussian surface... not some distance from it. You probably are determining the electric field from the center of some charge distribution.

If it is an infinitely long cylindrically symmetric charge distribution, then the usual method is to choose a finite-length cylinder as your gaussian surface. Because of cylindrical symmetry and translational symmetry [my first comment was a hint], the electric field has a nice form. That is why a finite-length cylinder is chosen. Of course, the enclosed charge in this cylinder is finite.

Is this your physical situation?
If so, then your triple integrals are reducible to a single integral with respect to r.

Righteous, I finally got it. Thanks a lot, the symmetrical analysis helped a lot. Just so you know, the cylinder was of a finite Length L and I was to find the field inside the cylinder. So the Whole thing was confined o concentric cylinders. I feel stupid. I realized thattwo of the three integrals reduced out to 2piL, which makes sense. Once again, thanks so much

1. What is electric field strength?

Electric field strength, also known as electric field intensity, is a measure of the force exerted on a charged particle within an electric field. It is represented by the symbol E and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is electric field strength calculated?

Electric field strength is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a charged particle by the charge of the particle. This can be represented by the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force, and q is the charge of the particle.

3. What factors affect the electric field strength?

The electric field strength is affected by the distance between the charged particles, the magnitude of the charges, and the medium through which the particles are moving. Additionally, the presence of other charged particles can also affect the electric field strength.

4. What is the relationship between electric field strength and electric potential?

Electric field strength and electric potential are directly related. Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a certain point in an electric field. The electric field strength is equal to the negative gradient of the electric potential, meaning that it is proportional to the rate of change of the electric potential.

5. How is electric field strength used in practical applications?

Electric field strength is an important concept in various practical applications, such as in the design of electrical circuits, capacitors, and other electronic devices. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic radiation and can be used to calculate the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric field.