Calculating electric potential

In summary: Yes, in summary, the electric potential at point P due to the charges +3q and -3q is 0 due to the sign of each charge. If the charges were placed at different angles, the electric potential at P would be different.
hotcommodity

Homework Statement

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/pepsi_in_a_can/?action=view&current=diagram.jpg

Each side of the triangle has a given length "d." Calculate the electric potential at point P.

Homework Equations

[tex] V(\vec{r}) = \frac{kq}{r} [/tex]

I believe this is for the elec. potential at some distance r for a point charge q, but I'm not completely sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

My main problem is whether or not to take the sign of each charge into account when I'm summing the voltage. For instance, when considering the charges horizontal to the point P, +3q and - 3q, if I take the signs into account, I end up with zero voltage. I've read that the idea of superposition applies, but the voltage is a scalar, and needs to be handled differently.

A push in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the electric potential due to each charge taking into account its sign.
and add them.
when considering the charges horizontal to the point P, +3q and - 3q, if I take the signs into account, I end up with zero voltage It is right.

Ok, let's just say that I had the +3q and -3q charges, and the point P midway between them. If I say that the electric potential at P is +3e + (-3q) = 0, then I have 0 potential at that point. This seems strange to me. If I placed a positive test charge at point P, it would move away from +3q and move toward -3q, which infers that it has non-zero potential enery, and thus non-zero electric potential.

You're correct in being suspicious of that hotcommodity

Remember one way to think of electric field is force per unit charge

So if you put a unit charge there and there's a force(like you said), there's clearly electric potential there

So how do I add the voltages? I assume that charge plays role in determining whether there's positive or negative voltage at anyone point, but I'm not sure how to apply that concept. Additionally I'm wondering if any angles need to be taken into account when adding the voltages.

For the question you asked, with just the two charges in a line, then no, no need to worry about angles

Remember what r is, it's the distance between the source(the charge)and the point(in this case point P), so assuming everything is lined up on the x axis

Let's say the -3q is on the left at x=-3 and the positive 3q is at x=3 and point P is at the origin

You'd have the electric potential at P because of the left charge be kq/r, q=-3q and r = -3...

See where this is going?

So given those values of r, I'd have an electric potential of 2q at P?

1. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the charge of the particle. This can be represented by the equation V = U/q, where V is electric potential, U is electric potential energy, and q is the charge of the particle.

2. What units are used to measure electric potential?

Electric potential is typically measured in volts (V), named after the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta. However, it can also be measured in joules per coulomb (J/C).

3. How does distance affect electric potential?

The electric potential decreases as the distance from the source of the electric field increases. This is because the electric field becomes weaker with distance, resulting in a lower potential at further distances.

4. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit of charge at a specific point in an electric field. Electric potential energy, on the other hand, is the potential energy of a charge in an electric field, which is dependent on the charge's position and the strength of the electric field.

5. How is electric potential related to voltage?

Voltage is another term for electric potential, and both terms are often used interchangeably. Voltage is a measure of the electric potential difference between two points in an electric field, and it is also measured in volts (V).