Calculating Electrostatic force between parallel plates

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for the force exerted between two parallel plates for a given plate voltage, separation, and plate area. The equation for calculating this force is also mentioned.
HorshamSparky
Hi All

I'm a professional Electronics Engineer and very much an amateur physicist. I'm trying to find the force exerted between 2 parallel plates for a given plate voltage, separation, and plate area.

I've found plenty of wiki's, google pages etc etc of force between 2 point charges, however I'm looking specifically for the force between 2 plates. (I need to find out how much voltage is required to separate 2 plates of insulated metal against the force of gravity)

Can anyone point me in the right direction? would be much obliged! I'll even answer any electronics questions for the right answer :-)

Likes Prateek Kumar Jain
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks in advance.The force between two parallel plates is given by the equation F = (V^2)*E*A/d, where V is the voltage applied across the plates, E is the permittivity of the material between the plates, A is the area of the plate and d is the distance between the plates. Hope this helps.

1. What is the formula for calculating electrostatic force between parallel plates?

The formula for calculating electrostatic force between parallel plates is F = Q1Q2/εd^2, where F is the force, Q1 and Q2 are the charges on the plates, ε is the permittivity of the medium between the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

2. How do you determine the direction of the electrostatic force between parallel plates?

The direction of the electrostatic force between parallel plates depends on the polarity of the charges on the plates. If the plates have opposite charges, the force will be attractive and if the plates have the same charge, the force will be repulsive.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electrostatic force?

The unit of measurement for electrostatic force is Newtons (N).

4. Can the distance between the plates affect the electrostatic force?

Yes, the distance between the plates has a direct impact on the electrostatic force. As the distance between the plates increases, the force decreases and vice versa.

5. How does the medium between the plates affect the electrostatic force?

The medium between the plates affects the electrostatic force through its permittivity (ε) value. A higher permittivity will result in a weaker force, while a lower permittivity will result in a stronger force.