1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Energy in Sound Wave

1. Nov 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How does the sound energy level produced by woodwind instruments (a piccolo, a clarinet, and a bassoon) compare to the sound energy level produced by string instruments (a violin, a cello, and a double bass) and brass instruments (a trumpet, a trombone, and a tuba)?

I am doing a group 4 IB physics project in which I attempt to answer the above question.

I need a straightforward, quick response that will give me an equation to calculate the energy present in the different waves.

I am using a scope that will allow me to determine the frequency, amplitude, speed, and wavelength of each instruments wave and I need to somehow relate the energy present in the wave to the data I am able to collect.

2. Relevant equations

I know that E=1/2kA^2 but my problem with this equation is that I am not sure how I would determine what the value of k is for each wave.

3. The attempt at a solution

As mentioned above, I have tried to look into the E=1/2kA^2 equation but am having difficulty with the value of k. I have searched in every spot I could think of to help with this and have returned empty handed. Any guidance in the correct direction would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted