1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Energy of an inlet gas stream; 2 conflicting methods

1. Dec 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to calculate the energy of an inlet gas stream (I will add heat later but need to know the rate at which energy is coming into the system [J/s]).

The fluid is air and I can decompose it into molar flow rates of the constituent gases. I now need to use lookups to find the energy of each constituent gas.

I believe what I'm after here is a state variable because its based on the ambient condition and not any process that happened beforehand.

2. Relevant equations

I can think of 2 equations here:
    Q = m_dot * Cp * T
    Q = m_dot * H
    (where H = enthalpy)

3. The attempt at a solution

I have found some lookup data for values of H and Cp of oxygen and nitrogen. However the 2 equations give different plots; when I plot T vs H and T vs (Cp * T) the plots are similar but significantly different.

I'm not sure why they are different or which one I should use. Also, is what I'm trying to calculate defined as the internal energy of the gas?

Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?