1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Energy Spectrum of Angular Momentum Interaction Between Two Particles

1. Jan 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The Hamiltonian for two particles with angular momentum [itex]j_1[/itex] and [itex]j_2[/itex] is given by:
    [tex] \hat{H} = \epsilon [ \hat{\bf{j}}_1 \times \hat{\bf{j}}_2 ]^2, [/tex]
    where [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is a constant. Show that the Hamiltonian is a Hermitian scalar and find the energy spectrum.

2. Relevant equations

Not really any specific to put here.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried simplifying the Hamiltonian using suffix notation with the Einstein summation convention. I was able to get the following:
    [tex] \hat{H} = \epsilon [( \hat{\bf{j}}_1 \cdot \hat{\bf{j}}_1) ( \hat{\bf{j}}_2 \cdot \hat{\bf{j}}_2) - \hat{j}_{1 i} ( \hat{\bf{j}}_2 \cdot \hat{\bf{j}}_1) \hat{j}_{2 i}]. [/tex]

Now I have the problem that since [itex] \hat{j}_{2i} [/itex] doesn't commute with [itex] ( \hat{\bf{j}}_2 \cdot \hat{\bf{j}}_1) [/itex], I can't simplify the Hamiltonian further. I'm not sure what my next steps should be.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2013 #2
    There is quite a common trick for this kinds of things, you can always express the dot product of two angular momentums as

[itex]J_1\cdot\J_2=\frac{1}{2}((J_1+J_2)^2-J_1^2-J_2^2)[/itex]

The operators on the right hand side are easy to handle.

Hope this helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook