Calculating Enthelpy of Vaporization using Clapeyron Equation

In summary, the Clapyron equation gives a vapor-liquid phase change temperature in Kelvin, and the Antoine equation in mmHg gives a saturation temperature in °C.
cjc0117
Hi everyone. I am having a problem that hopefully someone here can help me with. For the purposes of flash calculations, I’m trying to find the enthalpy of vaporization of a compound using the Antoine equation and Clapeyron equation. I am using heptane at 15.5597 psia as an example. For the Antoine equation in the form log10(Psat) = A-B/(Tsat+C), where Psat is in units of mmHg and Tsat is in units of °C, I have Antoine coefficients for heptane of A = 6.89385, B = 1264.37, and C = 216.636. At Psat = 15.5597 psia = 804.592 mmHg, this gives me a saturation temperature of Tsat = 100.386 °C. The Clapeyron equation for a vapor-liquid phase change is dPsat/dTsat=Δhvap/(TsatΔνvap). Rearranging yields Δhvap = (dPsat/dTsat)(Tsat•Δνvap). Using the Rackett equation and the Peng-Robinson equation of state, I have found within reasonable accuracy that Δνvap = 4.385 ft3/lb. Taking the derivative of the Antoine equation with respect to temperature yields dPsat/dTsat = BPsatln(10)/(C+Tsat)2. Thus, Δhvap = BPsatTsatΔνvapln(10)/(C+Tsat)2. Plugging everything in results in a value of Δhvap = 198.348 ft3•psi/lb, which is equivalent to 36.703 BTU/lb. The actual value of Δhvap for heptane at 15.5597 psia should be somewhere around 135 BTU/lb. I’ve looked over my method and calculations multiple times but I can’t find an error. Perhaps the Antoine equation cannot be differentiated because it uses empirical parameters? Thanks. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the Clapyron equation, you did remember that Tsat is absolute temperature, correct?

Perfect, that's exactly what I did wrong. I left the Tsat in the denominator in °C because the Antoine coefficients are for temperatures in °C, but I converted the other Tsat to Kelvin and now I'm getting 136.6 BTU/lb. Thanks a lot. It didn't make sense to me at first that I should convert to Kelvin because then the temperature units wouldn't seem to cancel out (K/ °C). But then I remembered that "per degree celsius" is the same as "per degree Kelvin" because a degree Kelvin is equal to a degree Celsius. Thanks again.

1. How do you calculate the enthalpy of vaporization using the Clapeyron Equation?

To calculate the enthalpy of vaporization using the Clapeyron Equation, you need to know the vapor pressure and temperature at two different points. The equation is ΔHvap = -R(T2-T1)/(ln(P2/P1)), where ΔHvap is the enthalpy of vaporization, R is the gas constant, T1 and T2 are the temperatures at the two points, and P1 and P2 are the corresponding vapor pressures.

2. What is the purpose of using the Clapeyron Equation?

The Clapeyron Equation is used to calculate the enthalpy of vaporization, which is a measure of the energy required to convert a liquid into a gas at a constant pressure. It is a useful tool in thermodynamics and is often used in the study of phase transitions and properties of substances.

3. What are the assumptions made when using the Clapeyron Equation?

The Clapeyron Equation assumes that the substance is in a closed system, that the vapor pressure is low, and that the enthalpy of vaporization remains constant over the temperature range being studied. Additionally, it assumes that the substance behaves as an ideal gas and that there is no change in volume during the phase transition.

4. Can the Clapeyron Equation be used for all substances?

No, the Clapeyron Equation is based on the ideal gas law and is only accurate for substances that behave similarly to an ideal gas. This means that it may not be suitable for highly non-ideal substances or those with complex intermolecular forces.

5. How does temperature affect the enthalpy of vaporization?

The enthalpy of vaporization generally increases with temperature. This is because at higher temperatures, the molecules in the liquid have more kinetic energy and are more likely to overcome the intermolecular forces holding them together. However, for some substances, the enthalpy of vaporization may decrease at very high temperatures due to the weakening of intermolecular forces.