1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Enthalpy of Vaporization using Clapeyron Equation

1. Feb 28, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone. I am having a problem that hopefully someone here can help me with. For the purposes of flash calculations, I’m trying to find the enthalpy of vaporization of a compound using the Antoine equation and Clapeyron equation. I am using heptane at 15.5597 psia as an example. For the Antoine equation in the form log10(Psat) = A-B/(Tsat+C), where Psat is in units of mmHg and Tsat is in units of °C, I have Antoine coefficients for heptane of A = 6.89385, B = 1264.37, and C = 216.636. At Psat = 15.5597 psia = 804.592 mmHg, this gives me a saturation temperature of Tsat = 100.386 °C. The Clapeyron equation for a vapor-liquid phase change is dPsat/dTsat=Δhvap/(TsatΔνvap). Rearranging yields Δhvap = (dPsat/dTsat)(Tsat•Δνvap). Using the Rackett equation and the Peng-Robinson equation of state, I have found within reasonable accuracy that Δνvap = 4.385 ft3/lb. Taking the derivative of the Antoine equation with respect to temperature yields dPsat/dTsat = BPsatln(10)/(C+Tsat)2. Thus, Δhvap = BPsatTsatΔνvapln(10)/(C+Tsat)2. Plugging everything in results in a value of Δhvap = 198.348 ft3•psi/lb, which is equivalent to 36.703 BTU/lb. The actual value of Δhvap for heptane at 15.5597 psia should be somewhere around 135 BTU/lb. I’ve looked over my method and calculations multiple times but I can’t find an error. Perhaps the Antoine equation cannot be differentiated because it uses empirical parameters? Thanks. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2013 #2
    In the Clapyron equation, you did remember that Tsat is absolute temperature, correct?

4. Feb 28, 2013 #3
    Perfect, that's exactly what I did wrong. I left the Tsat in the denominator in °C because the Antoine coefficients are for temperatures in °C, but I converted the other Tsat to Kelvin and now I'm getting 136.6 BTU/lb. Thanks a lot. It didn't make sense to me at first that I should convert to Kelvin because then the temperature units wouldn't seem to cancel out (K/ °C). But then I remembered that "per degree celsius" is the same as "per degree Kelvin" because a degree Kelvin is equal to a degree Celsius. Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted