Calculating entropy for expansion

In summary, to calculate the entropy change of an ideal gas with n=1, Cv,m=1.5R, Ti=300K, P=3bar and expands against Pext=1bar until final volume is twice initial volume at Tf=200K, you can use the equation ΔS = nRln(Vf/Vi) + nCv,mln(Tf/Ti) where the pressure is implicitly taken into consideration. This equation takes into account the reversible path between the initial and final equilibrium states and also considers the p-v-T relationship for the gas. Simply substitute the volume and temperature ratios to calculate the entropy change.
ChristineMarie
How do you calculate the entropy of an ideal gas with n = 1, Cv,m = 1.5R, Ti = 300K, P=3bar and expands against Pext = 1bar until final volume is twice initial volume at Tf = 200K?

Physics news on Phys.org
ChristineMarie said:
How do you calculate the entropy of an ideal gas with n = 1, Cv,m = 1.5R, Ti = 300K, P=3bar and expands against Pext = 1bar until final volume is twice initial volume at Tf = 200K?
What equations do you know that relate to entropy? How does this relate to the heat capacity? Also, you've left most of your units off!

ΔS = nRln(Vf/Vi) + nCv,mln(Tf/Ti).
Only the mole unit, n = 1mol?
R is a constant = 8.3145J/mol.K = 0.083145L.bar/mol.K

I'm just not sure how to incorporate the pressures, if I even need to. But if I don't need to use the pressures I would like to understand why.

ChristineMarie said:
I'm just not sure how to incorporate the pressures, if I even need to. But if I don't need to use the pressures I would like to understand why.
To get the entropy change from the initial equilibrium state to the final equilibrium state of a system, you need to dream up a reversible path between these two states, and then evaluate the integral of dq/T for that path. In the case of an ideal gas, you also need to take into account the p-v-T relationship for the gas. The equation you wrote down takes all this into consideration, and has done all the work for you. So all you need to do is to substitute the volume ratio and temperature ratio in. The pressure is already implicitly taken into consideration by the equation.

Chet

Thank you!

1. What is entropy and why is it important in calculating expansion?

Entropy is a thermodynamic quantity that measures the disorder or randomness of a system. It is important in calculating expansion because it helps us understand the behavior of a system when it undergoes a change, such as expansion.

2. How is entropy calculated for expansion?

Entropy for expansion can be calculated using the equation S = q/T, where S is the change in entropy, q is the heat transferred, and T is the temperature.

3. What factors affect the change in entropy during expansion?

The change in entropy during expansion is affected by the change in temperature, the amount of heat transferred, and the nature of the system (i.e. whether it is an ideal gas or a real gas).

4. How does the second law of thermodynamics relate to calculating entropy for expansion?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system can never decrease over time. When calculating entropy for expansion, this law helps us understand the direction in which the system will change and the amount of disorder that will result.

5. Can entropy ever decrease during expansion?

In theory, it is possible for entropy to decrease during expansion, but this would require an external source of energy. In most cases, entropy will increase during expansion as the system becomes more disordered.