1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating equilibrium constant

1. Feb 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Estimate the value of the equilibrium constant at 670K for the following reaction: 2NO2(g)⇌N2O4(g)

2. Relevant equations

ΔG°rxn = -RT*lnK

3. The attempt at a solution

This should be an easy problem. But for some reason, MasteringChem won't accept it, so I'm wondering if I did anything wrong. Here's what I did:

1) Using tabulated free energies of formation, I obtained ΔG°rxn=-2.8 kJ=-2.8x10^3 J.
    2) I then divided this by 8.314 J/molK multiplied by 670K (multiplied by -1, which cancels).
    3) I took e^ of both sides. K=1.65

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Just a small hint will suffice. Thank you in advance :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I get the same answer.

I would've used 8.315 J K-1 mol-1, but I don't think that's the problem here.

This is where things go bad! Could you show your calculation?

4. Feb 24, 2014 #3
    In your table, what temperature is that ΔGo at? I bet it's not at 670 K.

Chet

5. Mar 2, 2014 #4
    @ DrClaude and Chestermiller:

Sorry for the late response. Thank you for reviewing my post. To DrClaude: I forgot to account for the temperature in my calculations, as noted by Chestermiller. I calculated the std. change in enthalpy and entropy, and used the values to find ΔG^o at 670K. Then I plugged it into the equation from my first post to get a new answer of K=1.34e-5 (which turned out to be correct). Thank you both once again for looking at my post, and Chestermiller for offering that helpful bit of advice. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted