Calculating equilibrium constant

In summary, the equilibrium constant for the reaction 2NO2(g)⇌N2O4(g) at 670K was calculated to be 1.34e-5 using the ΔG^o value obtained from tabulated free energies of formation and the equation ΔG°rxn = -RT*lnK. The error in the initial calculation was due to not accounting for the temperature in the calculations.
littlebearrrr

Homework Statement

Estimate the value of the equilibrium constant at 670K for the following reaction: 2NO2(g)⇌N2O4(g)

Homework Equations

ΔG°rxn = -RT*lnK

The Attempt at a Solution

This should be an easy problem. But for some reason, MasteringChem won't accept it, so I'm wondering if I did anything wrong. Here's what I did:

1) Using tabulated free energies of formation, I obtained ΔG°rxn=-2.8 kJ=-2.8x10^3 J.
2) I then divided this by 8.314 J/molK multiplied by 670K (multiplied by -1, which cancels).
3) I took e^ of both sides. K=1.65

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Just a small hint will suffice. Thank you in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
littlebearrrr said:
1) Using tabulated free energies of formation, I obtained ΔG°rxn=-2.8 kJ=-2.8x10^3 J.
I get the same answer.

littlebearrrr said:
2) I then divided this by 8.314 J/molK multiplied by 670K (multiplied by -1, which cancels).
I would've used 8.315 J K-1 mol-1, but I don't think that's the problem here.

littlebearrrr said:
3) I took e^ of both sides. K=1.65
This is where things go bad! Could you show your calculation?

Likes 1 person
In your table, what temperature is that ΔGo at? I bet it's not at 670 K.

Chet

Likes 1 person
@ DrClaude and Chestermiller:

Sorry for the late response. Thank you for reviewing my post. To DrClaude: I forgot to account for the temperature in my calculations, as noted by Chestermiller. I calculated the std. change in enthalpy and entropy, and used the values to find ΔG^o at 670K. Then I plugged it into the equation from my first post to get a new answer of K=1.34e-5 (which turned out to be correct). Thank you both once again for looking at my post, and Chestermiller for offering that helpful bit of advice. :)

Your approach looks correct, so it is possible that there is an issue with the values you used for the free energies of formation. Double check that you are using the values for the correct temperature of 670K. It is also possible that there is a rounding error or a small mistake in your calculations. Review your steps and make sure all units are consistent. If you still cannot find the issue, try using a different source for the free energies of formation or ask your instructor for assistance.

1. What is the equilibrium constant?

The equilibrium constant, denoted as K, is a numerical value that represents the ratio of products to reactants at equilibrium in a chemical reaction. It is a measure of the extent to which a reaction proceeds in the forward or reverse direction.

2. How is the equilibrium constant calculated?

The equilibrium constant is calculated by taking the concentration of the products raised to their respective stoichiometric coefficients and dividing it by the concentration of the reactants raised to their respective stoichiometric coefficients, all at equilibrium. The resulting expression is then simplified to a single numerical value.

3. What is the significance of the equilibrium constant?

The equilibrium constant provides information about the position of equilibrium in a chemical reaction. A value greater than 1 indicates that the products are favored at equilibrium, while a value less than 1 indicates that the reactants are favored. The magnitude of the value also gives an indication of the extent of the reaction.

4. How does temperature affect the equilibrium constant?

The equilibrium constant is affected by temperature according to the Van't Hoff equation. As the temperature increases, the equilibrium constant also increases for an endothermic reaction, while it decreases for an exothermic reaction. This is because the equilibrium shifts to favor the side of the reaction that absorbs heat.

5. Can the equilibrium constant be altered?

The equilibrium constant for a reaction is determined by the nature of the reaction and the temperature. It cannot be altered by changing the concentration or pressure of the reactants and products. However, the equilibrium constant can be affected by changing the temperature or adding a catalyst, which can alter the rate of the reaction and therefore the position of equilibrium.