Calc Errors: Calculating Tolerance in Physics

• Thread starter Jimmy87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Errors
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for calculating tolerance in physics, specifically when given the statement (x-t) is proportional to p. These methods include finding the constant of proportionality (k) for two sets of measurements, calculating percentage difference, using expected values, and increasing the lower valued constant by 15%. All three methods are valid for rough estimates, but none of them would be used for a publication.
Jimmy87

Homework Statement

Hi, please could someone give me some guidance on how tolerance should be calculated in physics.

If given the following statement: (x-t) is proportional to p and then asked to show whether or not your measurements of these values support this statement within a tolerance of 15% how should this be done as I have thought of several ways to do this and didn't know which one is considered the best for tolerance. This task involved me taking two separate measurements of x, t and p. Here are my results:

x1 = 22.1, t1 = 5.3, p1 = 8.3
x2 = 41.5, t2 = 5.3, p2 = 18.7

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If we know that (x-t) is proportional to p then we can work out the constant of proportionality (k) for both. So we have (x-t)/p = k. For the first set of measurements this gives (22.1-5.3)/8.3 = 2.02. For the second set of measurements we would have (41.5-5.3)/18.7 = 1.94.

Therefore, k1 = 2.02 and k2 = 1.94
To see if these are within 15% tolerance I don't know what to do as I can think of several ways of doing it.

First, you could find the percentage difference, e.g. (2.02-1.94)/2.02 x 100 = 3.96% but then how do you know whether to use k1 or k2 on the denominator?

Second, you could use k1 to find an expected value in the second set of measurements and compare this to the actual measurement. Example - Use k1 to find an expected value for p2:

p2exp. = (x2-t2) / k1 = (41.5-5.3) / 2.02 = 17.9

We know the measured value of p2 is 18.7 so we can use the following equation:

(measured value - expected value)/ expected value x 100

(18.7-17.9) / 17.9 x 100 = 4.5%

Third, you increase the lower valued constant by 15% and see if this is within the constant with the higher value. Example for k2 - 1.94 x 1.1 = 2.13. Since 2.13 is larger than k2 we can say that the tolerance is within 15%.

These are three different ways I got from a combination of my own thinking about it and looking online. I just wanted to know if all three methods are valid and which one is considered the best for calculating tolerance in physics.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
All three methods are fine to make some rough estimate, and none of them would be used for an actual publication.

1. What is tolerance in physics?

Tolerance in physics refers to the acceptable amount of variation or error in a measurement or calculation. It is used to determine the degree of accuracy and precision in experimental results.

2. How is tolerance calculated in physics?

Tolerance is typically calculated by taking the difference between the measured value and the accepted or expected value, and dividing it by the accepted value. The result is then multiplied by 100 to express it as a percentage.

3. Why is tolerance important in physics?

Tolerance is important in physics because it helps to identify and quantify any errors or uncertainties in experimental results. It also allows for comparisons between different measurements and ensures that the data is as accurate and precise as possible.

4. What factors can affect tolerance in physics calculations?

There are several factors that can affect tolerance in physics calculations, including the precision of the measuring instruments, the skill of the experimenter, and any external factors such as temperature or humidity. It is important to control these factors as much as possible to minimize errors.

5. How can tolerance be reduced in physics experiments?

Tolerance can be reduced in physics experiments by using more precise measuring instruments, increasing the number of measurements taken, and reducing external factors that may affect the results. It is also important to carefully follow experimental procedures and make any necessary adjustments to minimize errors.