1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Exhaust Flow Rates

1. Jan 14, 2015 #1
    Hello everyone,

I have been trying to calculate some exhaust flow rates for a while, and I am having some issues here. I was wondering if anyone could provide any insight.

I am making a few assumptions for this calculation. I am assuming no fuel or air is lost through blow by gasses into the crank case or through valve leakage. I am also assuming perfect stoichiometry. In other words...

Mass in = Mass out
    All the fuel is burned in a perfect ratio of reactants

I know the mass of the products entering the engine through fuel consumption measurements, and stoichiometry assumptions.

Since I know the mass of my exhaust gasses all I need to do is determine the density of my exhaust gasses to find the volume.

What I know -Temperature
    -Chemical composition
    -Pressure
    -Mass

What I need to know
    -Volume

Any tips? I want to use the ideal gas law, but I don't know if this would be an appropriate application of it.

Thanks!

-Dave

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2015 #2
    ##\dot{m}=\rho \dot{V}##, where ##\dot{V}## is the volumetric flow rate, ρ is the gas density (from the ideal gas law), and ##\dot{m}## is the mass flow rate.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook