Calculating extra electrons

• Thread starter ProtoXtype
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
So I would recommend going with attempt 1. I also think you'll get a different answer. Finally, you should be able to check your final answer by plugging it into the equations you are using. If you do that for the answer you give in attempt 1, you'll find it doesn't work, so that's another reason to take a closer look at that attempt.In summary, a latex sphere with a mass of 2.9 x 10^-3 kg and a constant velocity of 0.013 mm/s is moving between two large plates with a potential difference of 3.00 x 10^2 V and a distance of 1.500 cm apart. Using the equation q =
ProtoXtype

Homework Statement

A 2.9 x 10^-3 kg latex sphere is moving up, at a constant velocity of 0.013 mm/s, between two large plates. The plates are 1.500 cm apart, with a potential difference of 3.00 x 10^2 V between them. How many extra electrons does the sphere have?

Homework Equations

N = q/e
q = (mgr)/[tex]\Delta[/tex]V

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt 1:
m = 2.9 x 10^-3 kg
v = 0.013 mm/s = 1.3 x 10^-5 m/s
r = 1.500 cm = 0.015 m
[tex]\Delta[/tex]V = 3.00 x 10^2 V

q = (mgr)/[tex]\Delta[/tex]V
q = [ (2.9 x 10^-3 kg)(9.80 m/s^2)(0.015 m) ]/ 3.00 x 10^2 V
q = 1.421 x 10^-16 C
N = q/e
N = (1.421 x 10^-16 C )/(1.602 x 10^-16 C)
N = 8.9 x 10^2 extra electrons

Attempt 2:

[tex]\Delta[/tex]Ee = [tex]\Delta[/tex]Ek
q[tex]\Delta[/tex]V = mv^2/2
q = mv^2/2[tex]\Delta[/tex]V
q = [ (2.9 x 10^-3 kg)(1.3 x 10^-5 m/s)^2 ]/ [ 2(3.00 x 10^2 V) ]
q = 8.168 x 10^-26 C
N = q/e
N = (8.168 x 10^-26 C )/(1.602 x 10^-16 C)
N = 5.1 x 10^-7 extra electrons

Not too sure if what I have done so far is right or not. But any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ProtoXtype,

Your approach in attempt 1 looks okay to me; however I believe you have a few errors. When you solved for q you say you got 1.421 x 10^-16; this exponent -16 here does not look right; I think you just misread your calculator.

A couple of lines below that you wrote the charge on an electron as 1.6 x 10^-16, but it looks like maybe you used the correct value in your calculation.

For your attempt 2, the first equation is not correct as it leaves out the change in gravitational potential energy. If you put that in and also set the change in kinetic energy = 0 (since the object is moving at constant speed) you'll find yourself with the expression you used in attempt 1.

Your attempt 1 looks correct. You correctly used the equation N = q/e to calculate the number of extra electrons, and your answer of 8.9 x 10^2 extra electrons seems reasonable. However, I would suggest using scientific notation for the final answer, so it would be 8.9 x 10^2 electrons.

In attempt 2, your calculation for q is incorrect. The equation q = mv^2/2\DeltaV is for the kinetic energy of a moving object, not the charge. To calculate the charge, you should use q = (mgr)/\DeltaV as you did in attempt 1. So, your final answer of 5.1 x 10^-7 extra electrons is not correct. It is important to use the correct equations and units when solving problems in physics.

Overall, your approach and understanding of the problem seem good. Just make sure to double check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy.

1. How do you calculate the number of extra electrons in an atom?

The number of extra electrons in an atom can be calculated by subtracting the number of protons (atomic number) from the number of electrons (atomic number - charge). For example, if an atom has an atomic number of 8 and a charge of -2, it would have 8 electrons and 10 protons, resulting in 2 extra electrons.

2. Can extra electrons be added or removed from an atom?

Yes, extra electrons can be added or removed from an atom through various chemical reactions or physical processes. For example, in an ionic bond, one atom will transfer electrons to another, resulting in the formation of ions with extra or deficient electrons.

3. What is the significance of calculating extra electrons?

Calculating extra electrons is important in understanding the chemical properties and behavior of atoms. It helps determine the reactivity and stability of an atom, as well as its ability to form bonds with other atoms.

4. How do you determine the charge of an atom with extra electrons?

The charge of an atom with extra electrons can be determined by comparing the number of protons and electrons. If there are more electrons than protons, the atom will have a negative charge. If there are less electrons than protons, the atom will have a positive charge.

5. What is the maximum number of extra electrons an atom can have?

The maximum number of extra electrons an atom can have depends on the number of valence electrons in its outermost energy level. The valence electrons determine the atom's reactivity and ability to form bonds, so the maximum number of extra electrons varies for different elements.