1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Fermi Energy of Cu

1. Jan 3, 2013 #1
    Hey,

My question is displayed below

ozGRP.png

I have had a few questions like these and I just want to check my approach is correct, but I'm not sure - I know that the Fermi Energy of Cu is something like 7eV.

Now we are told that there are 4 atoms per cube side - meaning 8 atoms but cubic volume, I'm not sure if I should assume 1,4 or 8 electrons per cubic volume i.e.

[tex]N_{electrons}=\frac{8}{(0.4nm)^3}\times L^{3}[/tex]

Where N is the total number of electrons for the Cu for a volume given by L^{3}, and where 8 is the number of electrons per cubic volume. Though I think this may be 4? I'm not sure!

Anyway, we can also find the total number of electrons in the volume by using k-states and the Fermi-Sphere

[tex]N_{electrons}=2\times \frac{4}{3}\pi k_{F}^{3}\times \frac{1}{(\frac{2\pi}{L})^{3}}[/tex]

Where the 2 is due to 2 electrons per k-state, the next factor is the k-state volume of the fermi-sphere and the final factor is the reciprocal of the 'volume per k-state'. Making these equal I find the Fermi energy as 9.15eV... which isn't bad I suppose.

If I assume 4 electrons per cubic volume I get roughly 5.9eV, so I'm not sure which way is technically correct.

Basically, how many electrons do I assume per cubic volume and is my problem solving even the correct method?

Cheers,
    SK

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2013 #2
    Right... I realise now it says with 4 electrons, I read it as 4 electron on the cube side.

That was dumb...

SK

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook