1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Field by Method of Images due to Plane Wedged b/w Grounded Conductors

1. Oct 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two semi-infinite grounded conductive planes meet at right angles. In the region b/w the conductors, there is the plane with angle 45° having surface charge density σ. Using the method of images, find the field distribution in this region.

(There is a picture included, essentially showing the first quadrant, bounded by the two grounded planes, with the non-grounded plane at 45° above the x-axis).

2. Relevant equations
    V=kq/r
    E*dA=σ*dA/ε

3. The attempt at a solution

First of all, I am making the assumption that determining the field means electric field and not potential. Most prior examples I have seen with method of images (MoI) usually works with getting potential, but maybe this is a different case?

For MoI, there is a plane with +σ going up through 45°, so, mirroring how I would do this if this were a point charge, I put planes with -σ at 135° and -45° and then one with +σ at -135°. So basically two perpendicular, oppositely charged, infinite planes.

I looked at this problem a very long time trying to calculate potential, but then I thought, can you just use Gauss's Law for each and confine your solution to the first quadrant? It seemed incredibly simple after that, but sometimes I make an incorrect assumption that oversimplifies the situation-- is this okay to assume?

E=σ/2ε from the positive plane, and the direction is normal to the plane (-i/√2 +j/√2) and the direction from the negative plane is -i/√2 -j/√2 so that the after summing these components the field would be pointing in the -i direction. Is that the basic idea or have I made one too many assumptions?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you have it. But, the final answer you gave has direction -i. Is that true everywhere in the first quadrant?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook