1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Flow Volume: Real Analysis-Stokes or Complex Z' Technique:Preferred?

1. Aug 9, 2008 #1
    Calculating Flow Volume: Real Analysis-Stokes or Complex Z' Technique:Preferred??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Which technique, Stokes (real analysis) or the complex analysis, is preferred or considered the better for use in calculating the volume of flow through a bounded surface (heat, electro, fluid) in physical problems?

2. Relevant equations

Stokes integral of (curl of field X dS/dZ) or absZ' = (dPhi/dX - dPhi/dy) = V and then use V to calculate volume of flow or flux, whichever.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no solid experience working with the complex variable function here but I could; however, I have lots with the Green and Stokes theorems. Which way would you go if you were going to do extensive work with physical phenomena and why?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?