Calculating Fluence: Need Help?

• Thread starter sportcardinal90
  • Start date
In summary, the student is trying to calculate flux, fluence, and dose but is having difficulty understanding how to start.
sportcardinal90

Homework Statement

I want to calculate the flux, fluence,and dose and I know several things:

Beam energy = 40 keV
Current = 10 nAmps
Irradiated area = 10 mm^2
Time irradiated = 15 minutes
Beam is made up of TiH with a charge state of -1

The material being irradiated is TiO2.

Homework Equations

What equations can I use here? I want to calculate flux, fluence, and dose. I have many problems like this. If someone could show me how to work through the solution for one of these, that would be very helpful.
Do I use a combination of the beam energy, current, and electron charge to get ions passing through? I have my irradiated area, and the length of deposition. How can I determine the number of ions/cm^2/s?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I imagine I need to start with multiplying the current by 1.602-19?
Honestly, I am very lost. I just want to calculate the fluence but have no idea where to begin/how to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
sportcardinal90 said:
I imagine I need to start with multiplying the current by 1.602-19?
Nope. The current is Coulombs per second. How do you convert that so that it becomes ions per second? Once you find that, how do you find (ions per second) per cm2?

kuruman said:
Nope. The current is Coulombs per second. How do you convert that so that it becomes ions per second? Once you find that, how do you find (ions per second) per cm2?

Since the current is C/s and I have a charge state of -1, wouldn't C/s be identical to ions/s? Then I divide by area to get ions/s/cm^2?

sportcardinal90 said:
... charge state of -1 ...
-1 what? Apples, bananas, oranges ... ?

kuruman said:
-1 what? Apples, bananas, oranges ... ?
The charge state of TiH is -1. The charge state of the ion beam

sportcardinal90 said:
The charge state of TiH is -1.
What kind of information does that convey to you when you read it?

I don't know. I just know that is the "charge state" I am very lost, and why I am asking here

The charge state of -1 indicates to me that the ion has gained an extra electron's worth of charge. Can you answer the question now?
sportcardinal90 said:
I don't know. I just know that is the "charge state" I am very lost, and why I am asking here
For future reference, it is best that you first understand the meaning of the information that a problem gives you and then ask about how to solve it.

kuruman said:
The charge state of -1 indicates to me that the ion has gained an extra electron's worth of charge. Can you answer the question now?

For future reference, it is best that you first understand the meaning of the information that a problem gives you and then ask about how to solve it.
Fair enough, do you think you can help me with this?

sportcardinal90 said:
Fair enough, do you think you can help me with this?
I already have. Please read again post #2. Do you understand what it suggests that you do?

I gave my answer and then you just asked another question, so I am not sure where to go from here. You did not say if I was right or wrong.

sportcardinal90 said:
Since the current is C/s and I have a charge state of -1, wouldn't C/s be identical to ions/s?
This part of your answer is incorrect. Coulombs per second is not the same as ions per second. Read post #8 and then see if you can figure out how you go from Coulombs per second to ions per second.
Then I divide by area to get ions/s/cm^2?
This part of your answer is correct, but you need to get the first part first.

Do I divide by 1.6e-19, the elementary charge?

Yes.

So the number of ions is 10 nAmps/1.6e-19? So 10 nAmps = 10x10^-9 Amps. Then divide by 1.602e-19 and I get:

6.24e10 ions/second?

That's what it is.

So I have 6.24e10 ions/second. Then I can calculate the fluence (ions/cm^2/second) by just dividing by the area right? Since I have area is 10 mm^2, convert to cm^2 and I get 6.24e13 ions/cm^2/s. Am I still correct so far?

My mistake, so its 6.24e11 ions/cm^2/s right?

Sorry, I mean 6.24e11 ion/cm^2/s. Good so far?

That is correct.

So now that I have all of that, how do I calculate the dose?

actually, before i get to that, what if my charge state were different? Instead of -1, what if it were say, +3? Would my answer be what I just got but times 3?

sportcardinal90 said:
Would my answer be what I just got but times 3?
Divide or multiply by 3? You can answer that yourself. If the current remains the same (same coulombs per second) but each ion carries 3 times the charge, does your beam have more or fewer ions going by per second?
sportcardinal90 said:
So now that I have all of that, how do I calculate the dose?
That is beyond my expertise but maybe I can help you. Somewhere you must have information about how the dose is related to the fluence and the other given quantities. What is that relation?

It would have fewer ions since they each have more charge. So I would divide by 3, right?

sportcardinal90 said:
So I would divide by 3
Correct.

Hi,
To calculate the dose used the stopping power.
For my part it is not clear what particles is your beam (protons ?)

The beam is TiH

1. What is fluence and why is it important in scientific calculations?

Fluence is a measure of the amount of radiation that is absorbed by a material. It is important in scientific calculations because it helps determine the potential effects of radiation on the material and can aid in the design of protective measures.

2. How is fluence calculated?

Fluence is calculated by multiplying the incident radiation intensity by the exposure time. It is usually expressed in units of energy per area, such as joules per square meter.

3. How does fluence differ from dose?

Fluence measures the amount of radiation that is absorbed by a material, while dose measures the amount of radiation that is absorbed by a living organism. Fluence does not take into account the biological effects of radiation, whereas dose does.

4. Can fluence be affected by shielding or other protective measures?

Yes, fluence can be affected by shielding or other protective measures. These measures can reduce the amount of radiation that reaches the material, therefore reducing the fluence. It is important to consider these factors when calculating fluence.

5. Are there different types of fluence?

Yes, there are different types of fluence depending on the type of radiation being measured. For example, there is neutron fluence, gamma fluence, and beta fluence. Each type of fluence may require different calculations and considerations.