1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Flux for non-lambertian emitter

1. Apr 21, 2013 #1
    Hey everyone!

I am struggling with the following problem:
    I am calculating the ratio of photons emitted to electrons generated in an LED. Due to the architecture the device shows a strong cavity effect and as such the emission profile is not lambertian but very "flat".
    Unfortunately I can not use an integrating sphere with my apparatus. So I tried to measure the luminance (cd/m^2) for angles from the surface normal down to 80°. Indeed this measurements show a strong deviation from the lambertian cosine law.

Now I need to calculate the luminous flux (for an lambertian this is [itex]\Phi=\pi L[\latex]) but I am not sure how to properly do so for my case (though this seems like very basic optics).

The main confusion stems from the inclusion of the solid angle. I do not know how to properly discretize the solid angle element to somehow "sum up" over the half sphere I effectively measure (that is the luminance shows no dependence on the azimuth).

I am very thankful for every tip!

Have a nice sunday!
    Chris

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted