1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Force of tension

1. Dec 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The following is for a lab report. We had a couple pulleys set up, with a weight on one side, and a weight on the other side. We timed how long it took for it to fall and figured out the acceleration was .891 m/s[tex]^{2}[/tex]
    http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/5316/uploadyt.jpg [Broken]
    I need to calculate the Force of tension for 50.0g mass, and the Force of tension for 60.0g mass. Gravity is 9.80 m/s[tex]^{2}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    F[tex]_{tension} + F_{weight}[/tex] = mass * acceleration

3. The attempt at a solution
    F[tex]_{tension} + F_{weight}[/tex] = mass * acceleration
    F[tex]_{tension}[/tex] = mass * acceleration - F[tex]_{weight}[/tex]

F[tex]_{weight}[/tex] = mass * gravity
    F[tex]_{tension}[/tex] = (mass * acceleration) - (mass * gravity)
    F[tex]_{tension}[/tex] = (mass * .891 m/s[tex]_{2}[/tex]) + (mass * -9.80 m/s[tex]_{2}[/tex])

Solving for 50.0g...
    50.0g = .0500kg
    F[tex]_{tension}[/tex] = (.0500kg * .891 m/s[tex]_{2}[/tex]) - (0.0500kg * -9.80 m/s[tex]_{2}[/tex])
    F[tex]_{tension}[/tex] = .535 N

Solving for 60.0g...
    60.0g = .0600kg
    F[tex]_{tension}[/tex] = (.0600kg * .891 m/s[tex]_{2}[/tex]) - (0.0600kg * -9.80 m/s[tex]_{2}[/tex])
    F[tex]_{tension}[/tex] = .641 N

However, apparently, one of the tension forces should be negative. I'm stumped at this point. Sorry if it seems to be a very basic mistake, but my teacher doesn't always explain things clearly, and all my classmates are equally confused at this point.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2009 #2

Homework Helper

You've defined the upward direction to be positive, and downward negative, right? I assume that's why you set g to a negative value. (Which is perfectly fine) In that case, both the tension forces should be positive because they're both pointing upward.

Tension is normally given as a positive value, anyway, since we consider it to be the amount of force pulling pieces of the string together. A negative tension, to my mind, would mean that the string should spontaneously blow itself apart.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook