1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating fourier Series

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

15qyqe9.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    Equations to compute fourier series given in question

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so I've just done this problem and I'm having some trouble computing the fourier series of [itex]x^{2}[/itex] between -∏ < ∏

So first I calculate [itex]a_{0}[/itex] and that turns out to be [itex]\frac{∏^{2}}{3}[/itex], which according to wolfram is right.

Next [itex]a_{n}[/itex], which is the one I'm having trouble with. Essentially you have to do integration by parts twice (right?) and I end up getting something quite messy, as does wolfram

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+x^2+cos+%28n+x%29+dx+from+x%3D-pi+to+pi

Is there any way to clean this up for when I plug [itex]a_{n}[/itex] into the final formula?

[itex]b_{n}[/itex] is 0 obviously so there's no issue there (since it's an even function times an odd function).

Thanks in advance everyone. :)
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You should find it simplifies down to [itex]a_n = (-1)^n\frac{4}{n^2}[/itex]. Since you know n is an integer, you should find some terms vanish, etc.

You can get the answer from Wolfram Alpha by entering "FourierTrigSeries[x^2, x, 10]".

4. Dec 5, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the response.

So let me get this right... [itex]cosn∏ = (-1)^n[/itex] and [itex]sinn∏ = (-1)^n[/itex]?

Sorry still a bit confused!

5. Dec 5, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Not quite. You might want to take a look at a plot of the trig functions.

6. Dec 5, 2011 #5
    Whoops, meant to say [itex]sinn∏=0[/itex], is this correct?

7. Dec 5, 2011 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, that's right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook