Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating fraction of aluminum lttice sites at certain temps

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    So do to a few issues I have definitely missed some thing in my materials class so I hope I'm not going to be told I'm an idiot. Please forgive me if I seem dense I am a single mother with a one year old who is also tackling an engineering degree ^_^'''

So with out further ado... I am working on this problem
    "Calculate the fraction of Aluminum lattice sites vacant at a) 500 C b)200 C
    and c) Room temp assumed at 25 C given that the energy to form a vacancy om aluminum is 0.76 ev/atom."

Ok I am assuming I am using some vartion of this equation Nv=nexp(-q/KT)

My question is what is nexp? I never quite catch what that was supposed to represent.

and I also think I missed something else in my note because I have an example problem in them where for it the energy for vacancy is listed as .9 ev/atom but I have K written as 8.62x10 to the -5 ev/atom is K a constant I should just have memorized?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted