Calculating Fractional Exponent

In summary, the equation for f(x) is x^{a/b}, where {\frac{a}{b}} is noninteger. There is no equation that can be solved for f(x). However, the classical method of solving for a function using logarithms and exponentials can be used.
dimensionless
I have a function f(x) such that

[tex]f(x) = x^{\frac{a}{b}}[/tex]

where [tex]{\frac{a}{b}}[/tex] is noninteger. Is there an equation to solve this? A series expansion or something? I've looked around and couldn't find anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
Solve for what? You don't really have an equation that you can solve for anything. The equation just provides a formula for f(x).

Now if you had an equation such as [tex]x^{a/b} = 7[/tex], then you could solve for x by taking the b/a power of both sides.

The classical method to do this involves logarithms and exponentials:

[tex]x^{a/b} = \exp((a/b)\ln(x))[/tex]

Mark44 said:
Solve for what? You don't really have an equation that you can solve for anything. The equation just provides a formula for f(x).

Now if you had an equation such as [tex]x^{a/b} = 7[/tex], then you could solve for x by taking the b/a power of both sides.

To clarify a bit, I'm trying to solve for [tex]f(x)[/tex]. By solve, I mean express the solution symbolically and in such a way that the only operations are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. In reality, I might consider the use of factorials, sinusoidal functions, special functions, operator functions, etc. to be acceptable. In other words, the question is: how does the calculator solve it? Thanks to g_edgar for answering this question.

Last edited:
dimensionless said:
To clarify a bit, I'm trying to solve for [tex]f(x)[/tex]. By solve, I mean express the solution symbolically and in such a way that the only operations are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
That's not "solving" for f(x). As I already said, the equation for f(x) is merely a definition of its formula. What you want to do is write the formula in a different form.
dimensionless said:
In reality, I might consider the use of factorials, sinusoidal functions, special functions, operator functions, etc. to be acceptable. In other words, the question is: how does the calculator solve it? Thanks to g_edgar for answering this question.
Edit: Fixed typo: e2 --> ex
What you're asking about is answered in the part of calculus that deals with power series, such as Taylor and Maclaurin series, and Fourier series, to name a few. A function such as ex has a Maclaurin series 1 + x + x2/2! + x3/3! + ... + xn/n! + ... As you can see, the series representation consists only of addition and multiplication (plus factorials).

As I understand things, calculators use a technique similar to this but not exactly the same, combined with lookup tables, to calculate the various functions that are on a scientific calculator. It's been a long time since I thought about it, but the acronym CORDIC fits in here somehow.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
That's not "solving" for f(x). As I already said, the equation for f(x) is merely a definition of its formula. What you want to do is write the formula in a different form.

What you're asking about is answered in the part of calculus that deals with power series, such as Taylor and Maclaurin series, and Fourier series, to name a few. A function such as e2
Typo: Mark44 meant ex here

has a Maclaurin series 1 + x + x2/2! + x3/3! + ... + xn/n! + ... As you can see, the series representation consists only of addition and multiplication (plus factorials).

As I understand things, calculators use a technique similar to this but not exactly the same, combined with lookup tables, to calculate the various functions that are on a scientific calculator. It's been a long time since I thought about it, but the acronym CORDIC fits in here somehow.

Thanks. ex is what I meant. I fixed it in my post.

xa/b=(1+x-1)a/b=1+(a/b)(x-1)+(a/b)(a/b-1)/2!(x-1)2
+(a/b)(a/b-1)(a/b-2)/3!(x-1)3...
(Sorry, can't do better latex..any good guides?)

What is a fractional exponent?

A fractional exponent is a way of expressing powers or roots of numbers that are not whole numbers. It is written in the form of a fraction, with the numerator representing the power and the denominator representing the root.

How do you calculate a fractional exponent?

To calculate a fractional exponent, you can use the rule: xm/n = (nth root of x)m. For example, 21/2 = (square root of 2)1 = square root of 2.

Can a fractional exponent be negative?

Yes, a fractional exponent can be negative. This indicates that the number is being taken to a negative power, which is equivalent to the reciprocal of the number being taken to the positive power. For example, 2-1/2 = 1/(square root of 2).

What is the difference between a fractional exponent and a radical?

A fractional exponent and a radical represent the same mathematical operation, but they are written differently. A fractional exponent is written as a fraction, while a radical is written as a symbol (such as √). For example, 21/2 = √2.

Can fractional exponents be simplified?

Yes, fractional exponents can be simplified by writing them in their simplest form. This involves finding the largest common factor of the numerator and denominator, and then dividing both by that factor. For example, 82/3 can be simplified to 41/3, since 2 is the largest common factor of 8 and 6.