Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating frictional torque

1. Feb 12, 2019 at 3:49 PM #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello, so I currently designing a centrifugal brake, I know how much torque it needs to stop etc just unsure of a few things.
    How would I calculate frictional torque? I understand that I can use the net torque to determine what torque is needed for equilibrium etc however I need to determine what materials I will use, required angular velocity of the axle etc and justify my choices through calculations. I am assuming that I cannot simply use the centrifugal force as the normal force and use the standard friction equation since I am dealing with torque and angular variables whereas friction in a linear value.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    N/A

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2019 at 3:06 AM #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

HI,

HArd to help here without completely taking over and designing something that maybe isn't at all what you intended. So please make a start with your calculations (*) and ask for comments

(*) I'm afraid you will end up with differential equations very quickly; can you deal with that kind of stuff ?

4. Feb 13, 2019 at 3:21 PM #3
    I understand, I am designing a controlled descent system, although I am unsure as to how to go about my calculations. I can calculate all linear and angular values, moment of inertia as well as the torque of the system for a given set of parameters.
    Then I could calculate the centrifugal force and determine the required angular velocity to create contact between the brake pads and the other surface.
    At this point I am unsure of my next step as I could use the centrifugal force (essentially as the normal force) and calculate the friction force between the pad and the other surface.
    I could alter the angular velocity of the centrifugal brake through gears if necessary to increase the centrifugal force but even if I know the value of the torque I am trying to counteract I do not know how I can (if I can) use that value of friction (friction coefficient x force) assuming that the value of friction calculated would be linear.

I have studied differential equations however this has been "here's the equation, what's the solution", I wouldn't know how to go about formulating an equation to describe the problem.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?