1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating G Force

1. Feb 28, 2014 #1
    Hey everyone I have a question that I'm wondering if it can be answered, I'm not into physics and don't know how to calculate it out. my question is if 40 lbs fell from a height of 8 feet how many G forces would be created on impact. the reason i'm asking is due to a real life scenario. thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It depends on the braking distance at the floor. For uniform accelerations (which is basically the minimal-G-scenario), the product of acceleration and corresponding distance is the same for the free fall and the impact. Then you just have to add 1 to the G-value due to gravity during the deceleration process.

4. Feb 28, 2014 #3

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

G-forces at the floor are due to the interaction of the falling body and the floor. If both are very stiff (hard), then your accelerometer will indicate many g's ... a disk drive falling off of your desk onto a concrete floor may hit 50 g's of acceleration, while it may be only a few if it hits a pillow.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook