Calculating Harmonic Sums using Residues

In summary, the author used the properties of the digamma function and the residue theorem to obtain the Laurent series at negative integers and simplify the original sum into a telescoping series.
Amad27
I posted the same question on Math Stackexchange: http://math.stackexchange.com/quest...g-harmonic-sums-with-residues/1085248#1085248

The answer there using complex analysis is great. I had questions, which Id like to get advice on here.

(1) How did he get the laurent series at negative integers? I can never understand how that works. Doesnt he need to find the coefficient a_n? Which is defined as a contour integral? How does the Laurent series work for digamma?

(2) How did he get the partial sum involving the q−1 in the upper index? And finally, I don't understand the step from: "which yields.. this implies that.." How did he make the transformation? It didnt change anything?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your questions about the answer on Math Stackexchange. I will do my best to explain the steps in the solution and address your concerns.

(1) In order to obtain the Laurent series at negative integers, the author used the fact that the digamma function can be expressed as a sum of residues of the logarithmic derivative of the gamma function. The coefficients of the Laurent series are then related to these residues through the residue theorem. The author did not explicitly calculate the coefficients, but instead used the fact that the residue at a pole of order n is given by the (n-1)th derivative of the function at that pole divided by (n-1)!. In this case, the pole at z=0 is of order n+1, so the coefficient a_n is given by the (n+1)th derivative of the digamma function at z=0 divided by n!.

(2) The author obtained the partial sum with the upper index q-1 by using the property of the digamma function that it can be expressed as a sum of logarithmic derivatives of the gamma function. This property allows us to rewrite the original sum as a telescoping series, where each term cancels out with the next term. The transformation from the original sum to the telescoping series did not change anything, it simply allowed the author to simplify the sum and obtain a closed form expression.

I hope this helps to clarify some of the steps in the solution. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you for your interest in this topic and for reaching out for clarification.

1. How do I calculate the harmonic sum using residues?

To calculate the harmonic sum using residues, you first need to find the residues of the function being summed. This can be done by finding the poles of the function and then finding the corresponding residues. Once you have the residues, you can then use the Cauchy residue theorem to calculate the harmonic sum.

2. What is the Cauchy residue theorem?

The Cauchy residue theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if a function is analytic inside and on a simple closed contour except for isolated singularities, then the contour integral of the function around the contour is equal to 2πi times the sum of the residues of the function inside the contour. This theorem is used in complex analysis to calculate integrals and sums involving singularities of a function.

3. How do I find the poles of a function?

The poles of a function are the values that make the denominator of the function equal to zero. To find the poles, you can set the denominator of the function equal to zero and solve for the variable. These values will be the poles of the function. It is important to note that not all singularities of a function are poles, so it is necessary to check for other types of singularities as well.

4. Can the harmonic sum using residues be used for any function?

No, the harmonic sum using residues can only be used for functions that are analytic inside and on a simple closed contour except for isolated singularities. This means that the function must be well-behaved and have no discontinuities or branch cuts inside the contour.

5. Are there any limitations to using residues for calculating harmonic sums?

Yes, there are some limitations to using residues for calculating harmonic sums. As mentioned before, the function must be analytic inside and on a simple closed contour except for isolated singularities. Additionally, the contour used must enclose all of the poles of the function and must not intersect any other singularities. If these conditions are not met, the Cauchy residue theorem cannot be applied and another method must be used to calculate the harmonic sum.