Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Heat Of Combustion

1. Jun 14, 2004 #1

dcl

Hey, I need some help with the following question:

A sample of 0.1964g of Quinone (C6 H4 02, Relative Molar Mass = 108.1) was burned in a bomb calorimeter that heas a heat capacity of 1.56 kJ/M. The temperature in the caolorimeter rose from 19.3 to 22.5 degrees celcius.

(a) write a balanced equation for the complete combustion of quinone in oxygen to form water and CO2.

Ok I'm pretty sure this is right:
    [tex]C_6 H_4 O_2 + 6O_2 \to 2H_2 O + 6CO_2 [/tex]

(b) Calculate the heat of combustion of quinone in kJ/g and kJ/mol.
    Not exactly sure how to apprach this bit..

Q = CMT
    where T is the difference in temp. M is the mass and C is the specific heat capcity, but I'm unsure how to apply this to the question.

thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2004 #2

dcl

OK, think I may have worked it out..
    I got an answer of around 2747 kJ/mol, whereas my book gives the answer of 2740 kJ/mol.

4. Jun 21, 2004 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This may be really late, but I hope you realize there is an error in the question, as stated by you. Heat Cap. of the calorimeter should have units of kJ/K. If this is really true, then the answer should be about 2747.6 kJ/mol as you have calculated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?