Calculating Heat of NaOH Dissolution in Water

• Thread starter WahooMan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, when 2.0g of NaOH is dissolved in 53.0g water in a calorimeter at 24.0 degrees Celsius, the temperature of the solution increases to 33.7 degrees Celsius. Using the equation q = cmt, q H20 is calculated to be 2150J. The change of enthalpy for the reaction is -2150J. To find the change of enthalpy for the solution of 1.00g NaOH in water, the value of -1080J is obtained by halving -2150J. However, this is incorrect as it is based on enthalpy of dissolution rather than enthalpy of formation. The correct value for the change
WahooMan

Homework Statement

When 2.0g of NaOH were dissolved in 53.0g water in a caloremeter at 24.0 degrees Celsius, the temperature of the solution went up to 33.7 degrees Celsius.

Homework Equations

q = c * m * delta t

-(c * m * delta t) = (c * m * delta t)

c = specific heat, m = mass, t = temperature

The Attempt at a Solution

When 2.0g of NaOH were dissolved in 53.0g water in a calorimeter at 24.0 degrees Celsius, the temperature of the solution went up to 33.7 degrees Celsius.

a) Calculate q H20.

I used the equation q = cmt, so

q = (4.18)(53.0)(9.70) = 2150J

b) Find the change of enthalpy for the reaction as it occurred in the calorimeter.

= -2150J

c) Find the change of enthalpy for the solution of 1.00g NaOH in water.

For this I just halved -2150J and got -1080 (3 significant figures) but I'm not sure if this is correct.

d) Find the change of enthalpy for the solution of one mole NaOH in water.

For this I found the mass of one mole of NaOH, which is 40.00g. Then I multiplied this by my answer to part c and got -43200J/mol

e) Using enthalpies of formation as given in thermodynamic tables, calculate the change of enthalpy for the reaction NaOH yields Na^+ + OH^-

I looked at a thermodynamic data table and found the delta H value of Na^+ to be -240100J/mol, OH^- to be -230000J/mol, and NaOH to be -425600J/mol. This obviously isn't what I got for my answer in part d. What have I done wrong? Please Help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are mistaking enthalpy of dissolution with enthalpy of formation.

1. How do you calculate the heat of NaOH dissolution in water?

To calculate the heat of NaOH dissolution in water, you need to use the formula Q = mCΔT, where Q is the heat change, m is the mass of the NaOH, C is the specific heat capacity of water, and ΔT is the temperature change. You will also need to know the enthalpy of solution for NaOH, which is -44.2 kJ/mol.

2. Why is it important to calculate the heat of NaOH dissolution in water?

Calculating the heat of NaOH dissolution in water is important because it allows us to understand the energy changes that occur during this process. This information can be used in various industrial and scientific applications, such as designing chemical processes, determining reaction rates, and understanding the behavior of different substances in solution.

3. What factors can affect the heat of NaOH dissolution in water?

The heat of NaOH dissolution in water can be affected by various factors, including the initial temperature and concentration of the NaOH solution, the amount of water used, and any impurities or additives present in the solution. The type of container used and the stirring or mixing method can also have an impact on the heat of dissolution.

4. How does the heat of NaOH dissolution in water compare to other substances?

The heat of NaOH dissolution in water is relatively high compared to many other substances. This is due to the strong ionic forces between the Na+ and OH- ions in the solid state, which require a significant amount of energy to break. In comparison, the heat of dissolution for many covalently bonded substances is much lower.

5. Does the heat of NaOH dissolution in water always stay the same?

No, the heat of NaOH dissolution in water can vary depending on the conditions in which the dissolution takes place. For example, if the initial temperature of the NaOH solution is higher, the heat of dissolution will be lower. Additionally, if the concentration of the NaOH solution is higher, the heat of dissolution will also be lower. Other factors, such as the ones mentioned in question 3, can also affect the heat of dissolution.