Calculating Heat in Exhaust Pipes: Internal Temperature

• Thread starter Tweaked9107
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to calculate the temperature of the gas inside an exhaust pipe using various numbers and a heat transfer formula. However, there is uncertainty about how to determine the inside temperature and whether the given values are sufficient for the calculation. More information or ideas are needed to accurately determine the temperature further up the exhaust pipe.
Tweaked9107
Im trying to calculate how hot the gas inside my exhaust pipe is. I have several numbers and a calculation on how to find heat transfer, but no way of finding inside temperature if i don't already know it.

Length= 0.5m
k (heat coefficient for stainless steel)= 25
Internal Diameter= 73.2mm
Outside Diameter= 76.2mm
Outside Temperature= 206°C
Inside Temperature= ?

I managed to get the inside temperature at the exhaust exit which gave me...

Inside Temperature= 171°C
Outside Temperature= 90°C

With that I was able to use the formula:

Heat Transfer = ((2 * pi * k * L)/(Ln(Outside Dia/Inside Dia)) * (Inside Temp - Outside Temp)

This gave me a heat transfer figure of 159,043.5W

Whether any of that helps me figure out the temperature further up the exhaust pipe I have no idea. Especially considering I don't know the internal temperature of the gas at that section of piping. Anyone got any ideas?

Science news on Phys.org
It isn't clear whether the OP is trying to determine the inside temperature from measurement of the outside temperature (surface of the pipe or in the surroundings?) or whether he is trying to do it some other way. There are two values of the outside temperature given, and it is confusing why they are different.

1. How do you calculate the heat in exhaust pipes?

To calculate the heat in exhaust pipes, you will need to know the internal temperature of the exhaust gas, the mass flow rate, and the specific heat capacity of the gas. The formula for calculating heat is Q=mCpΔT, where Q is the heat, m is the mass flow rate, Cp is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. What factors affect the internal temperature of exhaust gas?

The internal temperature of exhaust gas is affected by factors such as the fuel type, air-to-fuel ratio, engine size, and operating conditions. The higher the air-to-fuel ratio, the lower the exhaust gas temperature will be. Similarly, a larger engine will produce hotter exhaust gas compared to a smaller engine.

3. How can I measure the internal temperature of exhaust gas?

The internal temperature of exhaust gas can be measured using a thermocouple, which is a device that measures temperature by converting it into an electrical signal. The thermocouple can be placed at various points along the exhaust pipe to get a more accurate reading of the temperature.

4. What are some potential dangers of high exhaust gas temperatures?

High exhaust gas temperatures can lead to engine damage, such as melting or warping of components. It can also increase the risk of fire hazards and cause harm to the environment. In addition, excessive heat in the exhaust pipe can also reduce the overall efficiency of the engine.

5. How can I reduce the heat in exhaust pipes?

There are several ways to reduce the heat in exhaust pipes, including increasing the air-to-fuel ratio, improving the engine's cooling system, and using heat shielding materials to insulate the exhaust pipe. Proper maintenance of the engine and regular cleaning of the exhaust system can also help reduce heat buildup in the exhaust pipes.