Calculating horizontal force from disc magnet

In summary, the conversation is about designing a box shaped robot to move on the ceiling using magnets. The person is looking for help in calculating the necessary force to move the robot horizontally and is seeking suggestions from others. They have provided a link to the type of magnet they plan to use. This is for a robotics project and the person has limited knowledge in physics.
mastr924

Homework Statement

I want a box shaped robot to move on the ceiling. The robot sticks to the ceiling using magnets. I am attaching a picture. The red is a magnet. How do I calculate how much force is needed to move the robot horizontally? I know very little physics and I need to figure out how strong my motors need to be.

Homework Equations

This is the kind of magnet i will be using
http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info.php?products_id=826

The Attempt at a Solution

This is not actually a homework problem. Its for a robotics project.

Attachments

• robot.bmp
    150.1 KB · Views: 479
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how to calculate the force needed to move the robot horizontally. Does anyone have any ideas?

1. How do you calculate the horizontal force from a disc magnet?

To calculate the horizontal force from a disc magnet, you will need to know the strength of the magnetic field, the distance between the magnet and the object, and the orientation of the object in relation to the magnet. Using the formula F = BIL, where B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current, and L is the length of the object, you can determine the horizontal force exerted by the magnet on the object.

2. What is the formula for calculating horizontal force from a disc magnet?

The formula for calculating horizontal force from a disc magnet is F = BIL, where B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current, and L is the length of the object. This formula is based on the Lorentz force law, which describes the force exerted on a charged particle by an electric and magnetic field.

3. How does the distance between the magnet and the object affect the horizontal force?

The distance between the magnet and the object has a direct impact on the horizontal force. As the distance increases, the force decreases. This is because the strength of the magnetic field decreases with distance, resulting in a weaker force exerted on the object.

4. Can the orientation of the object affect the horizontal force from a disc magnet?

Yes, the orientation of the object in relation to the magnet can affect the horizontal force. The force will be greatest when the object is aligned with the magnetic field, and will decrease as the angle between the object and the field increases. This is because the component of the force acting in the horizontal direction is dependent on the angle between the object and the field.

5. How does the strength of the magnetic field impact the horizontal force?

The strength of the magnetic field has a direct impact on the horizontal force exerted by a disc magnet. A stronger magnetic field will result in a greater force, while a weaker field will result in a smaller force. This is why it is important to know the strength of the magnet's field when calculating horizontal force.