1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating how massive a object may be when supported by a suction cup mounted to a

1. Oct 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How massive an object can be supported by a 5.6 -diameter suction cup mounted on a vertical wall, if the coefficient of friction between cup and wall is 0.65? Assume normal atmospheric pressure.

2. Relevant equations
    -

3. The attempt at a solution
    I calculated the maximum force which I realised was when the pressure inside the suction =0
    Therefore Fmax=pA=101.3*10^3(pi(0.028^2))= 250N.

I don't know how to find the how much mass can be supported by the suction cup. I tried a number of answers and they were all wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2012 #2
    Re: Calculating how massive a object may be when supported by a suction cup mounted t

If you hook up some mass m to the cup, what forces will be acting on the cup?

4. Oct 5, 2012 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Calculating how massive a object may be when supported by a suction cup mounted t

Turn the experiment 90 degrees in your mind so that the suction cup is resting horizontally atop the wall instead of vertically against it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook