1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Impedance, verify.

1. Sep 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the circuit's impedance Z between input and ground for an applied sinusoidal voltage with frequency f = 1000Hz, and express Z in the form [itex]re^{i\theta}[/itex]

There is a picture that goes with it, it's just a function generator (makes a sinusoidal AC voltage) connected in series with a 0.1μF capacitor, and a 1kΩ resistor.

I think I solved it, but I would just like it if someone could verify that I did it correctly as it is going into a lab report.

2. Relevant equations
    i.[tex]Z = \sqrt{R^{2} + (X_{L} - X_{C})^{2}}[/tex]
    where X_L is for a transistor (none exists in the circuit so it's zero) and X_C is for the capacitor

ii. [tex]X_{C} = \frac{1}{\omega C}[/tex]

iii.[tex]tan(\phi) = \frac{\omega L - 1/\omega C}{R}[/tex]

All equations extracted from "University Physics by Young & Freedman 11th edition

3. The attempt at a solution
    From Eq i, I just plugged in 1kΩ for the resistor, and X_L is zero, and I found X_C from Eq ii (where C is the 0.1μF capacitor and ω is 2π*1000Hz).
    This gave me a value for Z of 1879.6Ω.

Then, to find it in the form [itex]re^{i\theta}[/itex], more specifically it should be:
    [tex]re^{i(\omega t + \phi)}[/tex]
    I know everything but φ, so I used Eq iii.
    Again, L was zero so the first term in the numerator canceled out, and I found φ to be:
    - 1.010 (radians).

So my final answer is:

[tex]1879.6 e^{i(2000\pi t - 1.01)} \Omega[/tex]

Is that all correct?
    thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted