1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating integral of earths orbit but with visual basic.

1. Oct 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ok for starters, I wasn't entirely sure whether this was supposed to go under physics or comp sci, this is a 'physics' problem I believe but done through visual basic, anyways.

So I have a program where the earth is animated to orbit the sun based on Newtons laws, I need to calculate the definite integral from X = start of orbit, to X = 0 ∫ Y(x) dx based on the linear interpolation formula shown below.

2. Relevant equations

Extended linear interpolation formula: 1/2*(f(x1) + f(x2))*h + 1/2*(f(x3) + f(x4))*h + . . + 1/2*(f(xn-1) + f(xn))*h

where h is supposed to be x2-x1 for the 1st term then x3-x2 for the next term etc.

3. The attempt at a solution

Please note that before this question I had a question to integrate ∫ 1/R(t)2 dt from where the earth starts to X=0 before the one I'm asking and I achieved this by doing a sum within the While loop, ie.
    Code (Text):
    While x > 0

Sum = Sum + Function

End While

Then taking away the 1/2*(1st + last) terms to adjust for the error in the extended interpolation formula.

Now for the question i'm completely stuck all I can suggest to myself is doing another summation during the loop of the function 'Y' but then I have to somehow adjust the answer so that it gives the same answer as the formula but I don't understand how to multiply each term by 'h' in visual basic? Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?