Calculating Inverse of Square Matrix on TI83: Tips and Tricks

• Thread starter torquerotates
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inverse
In summary, to calculate the inverse of a number on a TI calculator, press the "1/x" button. For a matrix, press the "2nd" button and then the "x^-1" button. The difference between calculating the reciprocal and the inverse is that the reciprocal is 1 divided by the number, while the inverse is the number that when multiplied by the original number, equals 1. To calculate the inverse of a trigonometric function, press the "2nd" button and then the appropriate trigonometric function button, and to undo the inverse function, press the "2nd" button and then the "x^-1" button again.
torquerotates
My quiz is in a couple of hours. And I can't figure out how to calculate the inverse of a square matrix on a Ti83. Does anyone know how?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just like you would find the multiplicative inverse of a number: use A ^ ( -1 ) where A is your matrix. Be sure to have parentheses around the -1.

thanks so much!:smile:

1. How do I calculate the inverse of a number on my TI calculator?

To calculate the inverse of a number on a TI calculator, press the "1/x" button. This will display the inverse of the number currently on the screen.

2. Can I calculate the inverse of a matrix on a TI calculator?

Yes, you can calculate the inverse of a matrix on a TI calculator. Press the "2nd" button, then the "x-1" button to enter the inverse function. Enter the matrix you want to find the inverse of, and then press "Enter" to display the inverse matrix.

3. What is the difference between calculating the reciprocal and the inverse on a TI calculator?

The reciprocal of a number is simply 1 divided by that number, while the inverse of a number is the number that, when multiplied by the original number, equals 1. On a TI calculator, the "1/x" button calculates the reciprocal, while the "x-1" button calculates the inverse.

4. Can I calculate the inverse of a trigonometric function on a TI calculator?

Yes, you can calculate the inverse of a trigonometric function on a TI calculator. Press the "2nd" button, then the appropriate trigonometric function button (e.g. "sin", "cos", "tan"). This will display the inverse function of the trigonometric function you selected.

5. How do I undo the inverse function on a TI calculator?

To undo the inverse function on a TI calculator, press the "2nd" button, then the "x-1" button again. This will display the original function before it was inverted.