1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Ksp of PbCl2

1. Apr 9, 2007 #1
    What would be an experimental procedure to determine Ksp of PbCl2 at lab temp, I think 22-25 degrees (the reaction being PbCl2 (s) ---> Pb + 2 CL). Im thinking that you'd take random amounts of Pb and Cl and wait for it to reach equilibrium and then somehow figure out how much of each chemical there is and then solve for Ksp (using concentrations of course)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2007 #2
    the thing with my little procedure is that it doesnt seem right, it seems like im missing something important, or what i think the procedure should be doesnt make any sense :S

4. Apr 10, 2007 #3
    I guess you could take Pb(OAc)2 soln and add HCl to slowly and see how many drops you need to get a ppt.

5. Apr 10, 2007 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Adding chloride as a neutral salt is more correct since some sparingly soluble chlorides are more soluble in acidic solution. Try an experiment that has you adding NaCl to a solution of a soluble lead salt (PbOAc has been mentioned) a little at a time until a ppt forms. You will need to accurately determine the Cl- and Pb+2 of the solution at the various concentrations of added Cl-. There are gravimetric methods and more sophisticated methods for this such as ICP/MS or ICP. The concentration of these two species should be plotted and their product determined (Ksp) at each concentration.

6. Apr 10, 2007 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

IIRC PbCl2 solubility is high enough to do the expreiment other way around - start with pure PbCl2, let it saturate water, then take known volume of the water, dry it and weight the residue.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?