What is the lost volts in this circuit?

• Thread starter Ellie4700
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volts
In summary, the conversation is about a circuit with a cell that has an e.m.f of 1.5v and an internal resistance of 0.75Ω, connected to a 3Ω resistor. The main questions are how to calculate the reading on the voltmeter and the value of "lost volts" in the circuit. The suggested equations to use are Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's circuit laws. The conversation ends with the suggestion to start by finding the current (I) using Ohm's Law.
Ellie4700

Homework Statement

A cell has an e.m.f =1.5v and Internal Resistance = 0.75Ω is connected as shown in the following circuit ( circuit has 3Ω resistor under the battery)

(I) Calculate the reading on the voltmeter.
(Ii) what is the value of the "lost volts" in this circuit?

Can anyone help me? I don't n ow the equation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Ellie4700,

The forum rules require that you show some attempt at a solution before help can be offered. Look in your course notes and textbook in the relevant section in order to find equations that might pertain to this topic.

You might also want to upload the image so that the placement of the voltmeter referred to can be seen.

The relevant equation that you are looking for is Ohm's Law. You can treat the internal resistance as an actual resistor which is inside the battery cell. This resistance is in series with the voltage source and the rest of the external circuit. That should help you get started.

gneill said:
Hello Ellie4700,

The forum rules require that you show some attempt at a solution before help can be offered. Look in your course notes and textbook in the relevant section in order to find equations that might pertain to this topic.

You might also want to upload the image so that the placement of the voltmeter referred to can be seen.
Thanks for the reply. I had a look and I still can't find any relevant equations to use. If I had an equation I would be able to work it out from there. I tried to upload a photo but it kept denying me.

scottdave said:
The relevant equation that you are looking for is Ohm's Law. You can treat the internal resistance as an actual resistor which is inside the battery cell. This resistance is in series with the voltage source and the rest of the external circuit. That should help you get started.
Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Ellie4700 said:
Thanks for the reply. I had a look and I still can't find any relevant equations to use. If I had an equation I would be able to work it out from there. I tried to upload a photo but it kept denying me.
What circuit laws have you studied?

It may be that you need to accumulate a few more posts before the forum software will let you post images (it's an anti-spam "feature" that's built in). Perhaps your circuit looks something like this:

upload_2017-3-20_17-32-23.png

gneill said:
What circuit laws have you studied?

It may be that you need to accumulate a few more posts before the forum software will let you post images (it's an anti-spam "feature" that's built in). Perhaps your circuit looks something like this:

View attachment 114821
gneill said:
Hello Ellie4700,

The diagram looks exactly like that. I live in Scotland and the course work is a bit different. I am doing higher physics and the key area is called Electrical Sources and Internal Resistance.

Ellie4700 said:
The diagram looks exactly like that. I live in Scotland and the course work is a bit different. I am doing higher physics and the key area is called Electrical Sources and Internal Resistance.
Okay. You'll want to review/investigate Kirchhoff's circuit laws (KCL and KVL), and Ohm's law. For this problem in particular you can make do with Ohm's law as @scottdave suggested. Start by finding the current ##I##.

Likes scottdave
gneill said:
Okay. You'll want to review/investigate Kirchhoff's circuit laws (KCL and KVL), and Ohm's law. For this problem in particular you can make do with Ohm's law as @scottdave suggested. Start by finding the current ##I##.

Thank for the help. I'll give it a try :smile:

1. What is the formula for calculating lost volts?

The formula for calculating lost volts is V = I x R, where V represents the lost voltage, I represents the current, and R represents the resistance.

2. How do I determine the lost volts in a circuit?

To determine the lost volts in a circuit, you need to measure the current and the resistance in the circuit. Then, use the formula V = I x R to calculate the lost voltage.

3. What causes lost volts in a circuit?

Lost volts in a circuit can be caused by various factors such as the resistance of wires, connections, and components, as well as the length of the circuit and the type of material used.

4. Can lost volts be recovered?

No, lost volts cannot be recovered. They are a result of energy being dissipated as heat due to resistance in the circuit. This energy cannot be regained.

5. How can I minimize lost volts in a circuit?

To minimize lost volts in a circuit, you can use wires and components with lower resistance values, ensure proper connections, and reduce the length of the circuit. Using materials with higher conductivity can also help reduce lost volts.