How Can I Measure the Strength of a Magnet for Building a Larger Levitron?

In summary, the strength of a magnet can be measured by using a Gaussmeter, which measures magnetic field strength in units of Gauss. To build a larger Levitron, a stronger magnet with a higher Gauss reading is needed. The strength of a magnet can also be determined by its magnetic moment, which is a measure of the magnet's ability to create a magnetic field. The higher the magnetic moment, the stronger the magnet. Another way to measure magnet strength is by using a magnetometer, which measures the strength and direction of a magnetic field. By using these tools, the strength of a magnet can be accurately measured for the purpose of building a larger Levitron.
Demonis
I was puzzling the Levitron today, and was trying to figure out what the magnets involved strength was, on the off chance that I may build a larger one for kicks.

However, after some moderate googling, it doesn't seem like figuring out the strength of a magnet is a quick or 'easy' task. Being that I don't own a Levitron to take measurements myself, but would likely buy one if there is a cheap and effective way to get those measurements, could someone point me in the right direction?

To clarify, I just need to know how to measure the strength of a permanent magnet to build a larger than average levitron. :D

Physics news on Phys.org
I have been measuring magnets for a very long time, and never have found a satisfactory measurement tool. Presently, the Hall Effect probe seems to be the most useful. You can buy Hall Effect ICs cheaply, and put them on your own opamp, or buy calibrated probes. A long time ago, we used rotating coil probes on the end of synchronous motors, or flip coils (with integrating amplifiers). The most precise (a few parts per million) is proton nuclear magnetic resonance.

Is that the same method magnet manufacturers use to test the strength of their magnets? It also depends on the shape of the magnet doesn't it? Depending how the field is shaped rather.

Demonis said:
Is that the same method magnet manufacturers use to test the strength of their magnets? It also depends on the shape of the magnet doesn't it? Depending how the field is shaped rather.
Manufactures probably all use Hall Effect probes for 1% type measurements. The Hall element is perhaps 0.25 mm in size, and the measurement can be made in any shape magnetic field. For 1 ppm measurements in uniform fields, manufacturers and laboratories rely on proton nuclear magnetic resonance.

So with something as precise as the Levitron is, relying on both magnet strengths, weights, and distances all being in perfect balance, would I be able to actually get good enough measurments to duplicate it on a larger scale without having extremely precise instruments?

I'm on a tight budget hehe!

Hi-
If you have someone who can build simple op-amp circuits, then get Allegro Hall Effect sensor part #
http://www.allegromicro.com/en/Products/Part_Numbers/1381/1381.pdf
at digikey.com:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=A1381EUA-T-ND
Their unit cost is about $1.37 each.

[Added] Get the 3 pin SIP package (suffix UA)
Bob S

Last edited:

1. How is magnet strength measured?

Magnet strength is typically measured in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G). A Tesla is equal to 10,000 Gauss, so the two units are often used interchangeably. The strength of a magnet can also be measured by its magnetic flux density, which is the amount of magnetic field within a given area.

2. What factors affect the strength of a magnet?

The strength of a magnet is affected by several factors, including the material it is made of, its shape and size, and the presence of any external magnetic fields. The strongest naturally occurring magnets are made of rare earth metals such as neodymium or samarium cobalt.

3. How do I calculate the strength of a magnet?

The strength of a magnet can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 * (m / V), where B is the magnetic field in Tesla, μ0 is the permeability of free space (4π * 10^-7 T*m/A), m is the magnetic moment in Am^2, and V is the volume of the magnet in m^3.

4. Can the strength of a magnet be increased or decreased?

Yes, the strength of a magnet can be increased by increasing its magnetic moment or its volume. This can be done by using stronger materials or increasing the number of magnets in a magnetic assembly. The strength of a magnet can also be decreased by exposing it to high temperatures or strong external magnetic fields.

5. How accurate are calculations of magnet strength?

The accuracy of calculations of magnet strength depends on the quality of the data used and the complexity of the magnet's shape and composition. In general, calculations can give a good estimate of a magnet's strength, but actual measurements may vary slightly due to external factors such as temperature and magnetic interference.