Calculating magnetic moment given magnetization

In summary, the total magnetic moment of the object can be found by integrating the magnetization density over the volume, which in this case is 0 due to the cancellation of the cosine function over two full periods. However, the question is asking for a guess on how the magnetic field decreases with distance away from the object, which should take into account the non-uniform magnetization and its variation with position.
dcnairb

Homework Statement

Consider a square slab of magnetized material with sides ##2a##, and
thickness ##d##, as shown. The magnetization is not uniform: $$M = M_o cos(\frac{2πx}{
a}) \hat{z} $$b) Calculate the total magnetic moment of this object. How would
you guess the magnetic field decreases with distance away from the object?

Homework Equations

## M \equiv ## magnetic moment density

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Because it's a density, my first thought to find the overall ##\bar{m}## was to integrate ## \bar{M} ##over the volume ##dx dy dz##. This of course ends up as 0 because it's over two full periods of a cosine in x, so I got ## \bar{m} = 0. ## Of course with 0 magnetic moment a magnetic field far away will be 0, which jives with me because oh how the magnetization is 'cancelled' over the whole thing. However I then became a little unsure as the question asks "how" it would decrease which I would imagine would be like"as ## \frac{1}{r^{5}}##" or something like that. It occurred to me that maybe I should just multiply ## \bar{M} ## by the volume, to get a variable ## \bar{m} ## but... that just seems incorrect to me, especially since ## \bar{M} ## is not constant. Can anyone confirm that my method is correct to find ## \bar{m} ## and if so am I interpreting the question correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org

Your method is correct for finding the total magnetic moment of the object. However, the question is asking for your guess on how the magnetic field decreases with distance away from the object. This means that you should consider the behavior of the magnetization and how it affects the magnetic field. In this case, the magnetization is not uniform and varies with position, so you should think about how this would affect the magnetic field at different distances from the object. For example, at a closer distance, the magnetic field may be stronger due to the higher magnetization, while at a farther distance, the magnetic field may be weaker due to the lower magnetization. Your guess on how the magnetic field would decrease with distance away from the object should take into account these factors.

1. How do you calculate magnetic moment given magnetization?

The formula for calculating magnetic moment given magnetization is μ = M x V, where μ is the magnetic moment, M is the magnetization, and V is the volume of the magnet.

2. What unit is used for magnetic moment?

Magnetic moment is typically measured in units of ampere-meter squared (A·m²) or joules per tesla (J/T).

3. Can magnetic moment be negative?

Yes, magnetic moment can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the magnetic moment is opposite to the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does temperature affect the calculation of magnetic moment?

As temperature increases, the thermal energy of the particles in the magnet also increases, causing them to vibrate and become disordered. This results in a decrease in magnetization, and therefore a decrease in magnetic moment.

5. Is there a difference between magnetic moment and magnetic dipole moment?

Yes, there is a difference. Magnetic moment refers to the overall strength of a magnet, while magnetic dipole moment specifically refers to the strength of the magnetic field at a particular point in space.