1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating mass flow rate while assuming shock losses

1. Aug 2, 2016 #1
    Below is a 2 part question regarding gravitational pipe flow, I have managed to do Q1) and have got an answer of 144 kg/s. However Q2 asks that shock losses be considered, Although I know how to calculate the shock pressure loss I am unsure of how to apply this to my calculation to get a new mass flow rate value, an explanation would be great, thanks.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Q1) Water flows through a pipe from one reservoir to a lower reservoir. The difference in height of the water levels in the reservoirs is 1.5m. The pipe is 0.5km long with a constant internal diameter of 400mm. It has a surface roughness of 0.20mm. Determine the mass flow rate of water. You may assume negligible shock losses. You will need to iterate to find a solution.

Q2) Repeat Q1 but allow for shock losses in the pipe. Assume that total shock losses (pipe
    inlet, outlet and all pipe connections and valves) are equal to 5 times the velocity pressure
    in the pipe.

2. Relevant equations

Bernoulli equation
    Darcy equation

3. The attempt at a solution
    I believe the change in pressure is 3270pa but I'm not sure how to apply this to get a new mass flow rate value.

rho/2 x C^2 = 1000/2 x 1.144^2 = 654
    654 x 5 = 3270Pa

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted