Calculating mass flow rate while assuming shock losses

In summary, to calculate Q2, you will need to use the Bernoulli equation to calculate the pressure drop, then use the Darcy equation to calculate the new mass flow rate by adding the pressure loss due to shock losses.
Taylor0304
Below is a 2 part question regarding gravitational pipe flow, I have managed to do Q1) and have got an answer of 144 kg/s. However Q2 asks that shock losses be considered, Although I know how to calculate the shock pressure loss I am unsure of how to apply this to my calculation to get a new mass flow rate value, an explanation would be great, thanks.

1. Homework Statement

Q1) Water flows through a pipe from one reservoir to a lower reservoir. The difference in height of the water levels in the reservoirs is 1.5m. The pipe is 0.5km long with a constant internal diameter of 400mm. It has a surface roughness of 0.20mm. Determine the mass flow rate of water. You may assume negligible shock losses. You will need to iterate to find a solution.

Q2) Repeat Q1 but allow for shock losses in the pipe. Assume that total shock losses (pipe
inlet, outlet and all pipe connections and valves) are equal to 5 times the velocity pressure
in the pipe.

Homework Equations

Bernoulli equation
Darcy equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the change in pressure is 3270pa but I'm not sure how to apply this to get a new mass flow rate value.

rho/2 x C^2 = 1000/2 x 1.144^2 = 654
654 x 5 = 3270Pa

Physics news on Phys.org
To answer Q2, you have to calculate the pressure loss due to shock losses and add this to the pressure drop calculated from the Bernoulli equation. The pressure loss due to shock losses can be calculated using the following equation: ΔP = K * (ρV2/2g)where K is the coefficient of discharge for the pipe fittings, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the average velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. With K = 5, you can calculate the pressure loss due to shock losses. This pressure loss should be added to the pressure drop calculated from the Bernoulli equation, and the new mass flow rate can be calculated using the Darcy equation.

What is mass flow rate?

Mass flow rate is the amount of mass that passes through a certain area per unit of time. It is typically measured in kilograms per second (kg/s) or pounds per second (lb/s).

What are shock losses?

Shock losses refer to the energy losses that occur when a fluid undergoes a sudden change in velocity, typically due to a shock wave or sudden expansion. This can result in a decrease in the fluid's total pressure and an increase in its static pressure.

How do you calculate mass flow rate?

The mass flow rate can be calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the velocity and the cross-sectional area of the flow. This can be expressed as:
Mass flow rate = density x velocity x cross-sectional area

What is the equation for calculating mass flow rate while assuming shock losses?

The equation for calculating mass flow rate while assuming shock losses is:
Mass flow rate = density x (velocity + shock velocity change) x cross-sectional area

How do shock losses affect the mass flow rate?

Shock losses can decrease the mass flow rate by reducing the total pressure of the fluid. This decrease in pressure can result in a decrease in velocity, leading to a lower mass flow rate. Additionally, the sudden change in velocity can also cause a loss of energy, further reducing the mass flow rate.