How Is Mass Flow Rate Calculated Through an Orifice?

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with understanding the formula for calculating the mass flow rate of an orifice. They provide the necessary information, including the formula and values for each variable. The answer for the mass flow rate is given as 2.220256 Tonnes/hr, but the person is still unsure of how this was obtained. The conversation ends with a suggestion to Google "orifice coefficient."
afclegend81
hi all,

First all my disipline is not fluids so this is why asking for little help here on the following.

Basically i have all the required information but i can't seem to figure out how the answer to the mass flow rate of an orifice is obatained, its doing my head in, if anyone could break down the formulae for me with the values i would be very gratefull, here is the info.

From what i have found the forumlae for Qm is

Qm = C/(SQRT(1-BETA^4)) * e1 * PI/4 * d^2 * SQRT(2*DP*p)

Think this is correct.

C = 0.602193
BETA = 0.423554
e1 = 0.9999333
d = 74.03900mm
DP = 926.262 Pa
p = 29.579049 kg/m^3

the answer for Qm is 2.220256 Tonnes/hr, i just can't figure out how this is obtained

Thanks in advance

Steven

Engineering news on Phys.org
Google "orifice coefficient."

1. How is mass flow rate calculated?

The mass flow rate is calculated by dividing the mass of a substance that is flowing through a given area per unit time. It is usually represented by the symbol ρ and is calculated as ρ = m/t, where m is the mass and t is the time.

2. What is the unit of mass flow rate?

The unit of mass flow rate is usually kilograms per second (kg/s) in the SI system. In other systems, it can also be expressed as grams per second (g/s) or pounds per second (lb/s).

3. How does the density of a substance affect the mass flow rate?

The density of a substance has a direct impact on the mass flow rate. The higher the density, the greater the mass flow rate for a given volume. This is because a denser substance contains more mass per unit volume, resulting in a higher mass flow rate.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of mass flow rate calculations?

The accuracy of mass flow rate calculations can be affected by several factors, including measurement errors, changes in temperature and pressure, and variations in the properties of the substance being measured. It is important to consider these factors and use appropriate techniques to minimize errors in the calculation.

5. How is mass flow rate used in real-life applications?

Mass flow rate is a crucial parameter in various industries, including chemical, food and beverage, and pharmaceutical industries. It is used to monitor and control the flow of substances in processes such as production, transportation, and storage. It is also essential in designing and optimizing systems for efficient and safe operation.