What is the Mass of Sulphur in 71g of Na2SO4?

• Thread starter Sace Ver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary: Where x is the mass of sulfur in 71 g of Na2SO4. Rearranging for x, we get:x = \frac{32 \ \mathrm{g \ S}}{142 \ \mathrm{g \ Na_2SO_4}} * 71 \ \mathrm{g \ Na_2SO_4} = 16 \ \mathrm{g \ S}Therefore, the mass of sulfur in 71 g of Na2SO4 is 16 g.
Sace Ver

Homework Statement

Determine the mass of all the sulphur atoms in 71g of Na2SO4?

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I divide 71 by 7 because 2+1+4=7?

And then would I multiply 1 by the number I get?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are 32 grams of sulfur in a mole of Na2SO4. Calculate the molar mass of sodium sulfate and then use a simple rule of three to calculate what you need.

Sace Ver said:

Homework Statement

Determine the mass of all the sulphur atoms in 71g of Na2SO4?

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I divide 71 by 7 because 2+1+4=7?

And then would I multiply 1 by the number I get?[/QUOTE]

Why? Does an atom of Na weigh the same as an atom of S and the same as an atom of O?

You're still apparently hazy on the concept of what a mole is and how to calculate the weight, in grams, of one mole of a substance, given its chemical formula.

If you have 1 mole of Na2SO4, how many moles of S will there be? For any amount of this substance which is less than the weight of 1 mole, simply ratio the amount of the substance you have to the weight of one mole to determine the amount of S in 71 g of the substance.

This is a very simple concept to grasp, but you must study it carefully.

MexChemE said:
There are 32 grams of sulfur in a mole of Na2SO4. Calculate the molar mass of sodium sulfate and then use a simple rule of three to calculate what you need.
Would it be 16g of sulphur?

Sace Ver said:
Would it be 16g of sulphur?
MexChemE was correct in that you need to calculate the molar mass of Na2SO4 in order to find the mass of S contained in 71 g of the original substance.

This 'Rule of Three' which was mentioned is not at all clear.

SteamKing said:
This 'Rule of Three' which was mentioned is not at all clear.
Oh, sorry. I meant this.
[tex]\frac{32 \ \mathrm{g \ S}}{142 \ \mathrm{g \ Na_2SO_4}} = \frac{x}{71 \ \mathrm{g \ Na_2SO_4}}[/tex]

1. How do you calculate the mass of sulphur in a given sample?

To calculate the mass of sulphur, you will need to know the mass of the entire sample and the percentage of sulphur present in the sample. Multiply the mass of the sample by the percentage of sulphur to get the mass of sulphur in the sample.

2. What is the formula for calculating the mass of sulphur?

The formula for calculating the mass of sulphur is: Mass of Sulphur = Mass of Sample x Percentage of Sulphur

3. Can the mass of sulphur be calculated using a chemical formula?

Yes, the mass of sulphur can be calculated using a chemical formula. You will need to know the molar mass of sulphur and the number of moles of sulphur present in the sample, which can be determined from the chemical formula.

4. How do you determine the percentage of sulphur in a sample?

To determine the percentage of sulphur in a sample, you will need to know the mass of sulphur and the mass of the entire sample. Divide the mass of sulphur by the mass of the sample and multiply by 100 to get the percentage of sulphur.

5. What units are used to express the mass of sulphur?

The mass of sulphur is typically expressed in grams (g) or kilograms (kg). In some cases, it may also be expressed in other units such as milligrams (mg) or pounds (lb).