Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Molecular Geometry Angles

1. Nov 11, 2004 #1
    Howdy,

I'm trying to calculate the angles between the repulsion of electrons. Well, it looks like a vector problem. Basically, can I just think of 360º between each of the individual the XY, XZ, and YZ planes. If I set everything up with generic variables to everything, will they drop out at the end so I can get the separation in degrees in the respective XY, XZ, and YZ planes, then finally taking the arc-cosine of the dot product divided by the norm of the vectors for an overall angle?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2004 #2

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you studying VSEPR theorem, namely Valence Shell Electron Pair Repulsion?

You may use these basic knowledge:
    1. If the central atom has no non-bonding electron pair, the geometry should be an ideal one.
    2. If one non-bonding electron pair is present, bonding electrons escape from it, thereby causing a deviation of geometry.
    3. If more than one non-bonding electron pair is present, repulsions among non-bonding electron pairs must be neutralized first (refer to seesaw geometry of XeF2).

4. Nov 11, 2004 #3
    Well, when we have two pairs thats 180º and when we have three pairs, thats 120º, thats simple. However, four pairs is ~108º

Having that extra dimension really complicates thing. I would like to know from a physics point of view via vectors on how to calculate it.

5. Nov 11, 2004 #4

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I'm not sure your reasoning is absolutely correct. In octet rule, we assume that a maximum of 8 electrons for atoms except hydrogen are available, so if there are three n-electrons on an atom, only one bonding will be possible. If there is four, it is essentially a noble gas like argon, etc. (not Helium; the total number is 2 in this case).

If you wonder it from physics point of view, make sure some physicists read this post by posting a small message and including the url to this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?