How Do You Calculate Moles in a CaCO3 and HCl Reaction?

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter Elizabeth12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moles
In summary, the conversation is about a student who is stuck on a homework question related to moles. They mention knowing the mole formula but not having the necessary numbers for the question. The question involves calculating the number of moles of calcium carbonate and hydrochloric acid at the start of a reaction. The student seeks help to answer the question before their homework is due on Monday. They later realize they misread part of the question and thank for the assistance.
Elizabeth12
Hi

I'm stuck on a homework question on moles. I know the mole formula, but the question doesn't state any needed numbers.

Question: Calculate the number of moles of calcium carbonate and hydrochloric acid at the start of the reaction.

the reactions is CaCO3+2HCL---CaCl2+CO2+H2O

How do you calculate the number of moles?

Please help me answer this question a.s.a.p. This homework is due on monday!
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If that's the complete question, there is no answer. But I guess you may have omitted part of the question that you think is irrelevant, while in fact it is.

oh i just realized I miss read a part of the question. thanks!

1. How do I calculate the moles of CaCO3 and HCl?

To calculate the moles of CaCO3 and HCl, you will need to use the molarity equation: M = moles/volume. You will need to know the molarity of the solutions and the volume used. Once you have these values, plug them into the equation to find the moles of each substance.

2. What is the molarity of a solution?

Molarity is a measure of concentration, specifically the number of moles of a solute per liter of solution. It is represented by the symbol "M" and is calculated by dividing the number of moles of solute by the volume of the solution in liters.

3. How do I find the volume of a solution?

The volume of a solution can be measured using a graduated cylinder or a burette. Make sure to read the volume at eye level and record the value in milliliters (mL).

4. Can I use any units for molarity?

No, molarity must be expressed in moles per liter (mol/L). Some common units used for molarity are millimoles per liter (mmol/L) and micromoles per liter (μmol/L).

5. What is the equation for the reaction between CaCO3 and HCl?

The equation for the reaction between CaCO3 and HCl is: CaCO3 + 2HCl → CaCl2 + H2O + CO2. This reaction produces calcium chloride, water, and carbon dioxide gas.