Calculating moment of inertia and torsion constant

In summary, the clock balance wheel has a period of oscillation of 0.250 s and a mass of 10.0 g concentrated around a rim of radius 0.600 cm. The moment of inertia is calculated to be 3.6x10^-7 kg m^2 using the formula I=mr^2. This value is correct for a point particle, ring, or hollow cylinder. Additionally, the radius at which the mass is concentrated is known as the radius of gyration.
Erenjaeger

Homework Statement

A clock balance wheel has a period of oscillation of 0.250 s. The wheel is constructed so that its mass of 10.0 g is concentrated around a rim of radius 0.600 cm.
a) What is the wheels moment of inertia? kg m^2
b) What is the torsion constant of the attached spring? N m / rad

Homework Equations

I=mr^2[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

starting with part a)
I have gone mr^2 and gotten 3.6x10^-7 so i assumed that answer didnt make sense, I thought it could be because it says the mass is concentrated around the rim so do i treat that as if it was a ring?
If so I know that dI = dm r^2
so ∫dI = r^2 ⋅ ∫dm
so I = r^2 M
where M is the mass of the whole ring system.
Am I correct in this working or was my first calculation correct ?
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Erenjaeger said:
3.6x10^-7
Assuming that's in kg m2, that is correct. What bothers you about it?

haruspex said:
Assuming that's in kg m2, that is correct. What bothers you about it?
yeah I put the values into kg and m when I calculated, I just thought that because it was such a low number it was wrong.
say for example sake it was a ring, would my calculations I put down be correct to determine the moment of inertia??

Erenjaeger said:
yeah I put the values into kg and m when I calculated, I just thought that because it was such a low number it was wrong.
say for example sake it was a ring, would my calculations I put down be correct to determine the moment of inertia??
mr2 works for a point particle, a ring (about an axis through the centre of the ring and normal to its plane) and a hollow cylinder (about the axis of the cylinder). In each case, each part of the object is at the same distance from the axis.

The radius at which all the mass is assumed to be concentrated (for calculation purposes) is also called the radius of gyration.

1. What is the difference between moment of inertia and torsion constant?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, while torsion constant is a measure of an object's resistance to twisting or torsion. They are related, but not the same.

2. How do I calculate moment of inertia and torsion constant for a simple object?

For a simple object, such as a rod or a disc, the moment of inertia and torsion constant can be calculated using basic geometric formulas. The moment of inertia can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. The torsion constant can be calculated by multiplying the shear modulus of the object's material by its cross-sectional area and dividing by its length.

3. What is the significance of calculating moment of inertia and torsion constant?

Calculating moment of inertia and torsion constant is important in engineering and physics, as it allows us to understand and predict how objects will behave under rotational or twisting forces. This information is crucial in designing structures and machines that can withstand these forces.

4. Can moment of inertia and torsion constant be calculated for complex objects?

Yes, moment of inertia and torsion constant can also be calculated for more complex objects, such as cylinders or spheres with irregular shapes. This requires using more advanced mathematical techniques, such as integration, to determine the distribution of mass and geometry of the object.

5. What are the units of moment of inertia and torsion constant?

The units of moment of inertia are typically kg*m², while the units of torsion constant are typically N*m². However, the specific units may vary depending on the system of measurement being used. It is important to pay attention to units when performing calculations to ensure accurate results.