Calculating Continuous Torque Curve for Electric Motors?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of continuous torque and its calculation for electric motors. The speaker is unsure of how to create a continuous torque curve and questions why some motors have a continuous torque curve that starts curving before the rated speed. The expert explains that not all motors are rated for continuous use and the calculation for continuous torque may require access to thermal properties and efficiency data from the motor manufacturer.
AmazingTrans
Hi there,

I have a motor peak torque, peak power, peak speed, rated torque, rated power, rated speed, torque at max speed.

I was able to produce the peak torque curve.
But, i don't understand how to create this continuous torque curve here. I have attach a link here, and somehow the continuous torque starts curving before the rated speed?

I thought, the torque for the "continuous torque curve" should remain constant up to the rated speed then only start curving? I seen a lot of motor does the same. What formula should i use to calculate this curve/

Power = 2*3.142*torque * speed

Electric-motor-performance-courtesy-McLaren-Electronic-Systems.jpg

http://current-e.com/wp-content/upl...mance-courtesy-McLaren-Electronic-Systems.jpg

AT

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Norton blocks my access to that page but..

Not all motors are rated for continuous use. Many are rated for intermittent use. In other words they might be able to deliver the rated power at the rated speed intermittently but not continuously. If you try to use them at max load continuously they may overheat.

yup, i understand the concept.
I'm just wondering how to plot the continuous torque curve.

I'm not sure it can be calculated easily. If you were the motor manufacturer you would have access to its thermal properties. That would allow you to work out how much power the motor can be allowed to dissipate as heat. That and data on the efficiency of the motor would tell you how much power and torque the motor can be allowed to deliver continuously at any given speed.

1. What is a motor curve?

A motor curve is a graphical representation of the performance characteristics of an electric motor, typically showing the relationship between input power and output speed or torque.

2. How is a motor curve calculated?

A motor curve is calculated by performing a series of tests on the motor, measuring its output speed and torque at different input power levels. These data points are then plotted on a graph to create the motor curve.

3. What information can be obtained from a motor curve?

A motor curve can provide information about the motor's efficiency, power output, and maximum speed and torque capabilities. It can also reveal any inefficiencies or abnormalities in the motor's performance.

4. Why is it important to calculate a motor curve?

Calculating a motor curve is important because it allows engineers and technicians to understand and optimize the performance of the motor. This information can be used to select the most suitable motor for a given application or to troubleshoot any issues with the motor's performance.

5. Are there any limitations to using a motor curve?

One limitation of using a motor curve is that it only provides information about the motor under specific testing conditions. The actual performance of the motor in real-world applications may vary due to factors such as temperature, load variations, and wear and tear.