1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating movement of an object

1. Mar 3, 2015 #1
    Hello,
    I would like to get help in solving a problem.
    I will describe what happens and what I want to know and hopefully someone can help me.

We have object A that has to move from starting point 0 to point 1 in a linear movement.
    There are 2 forces acting on object A in opposite directions. F1 is oriented in the direction of the movement and is growing continuously between point 0 and point 1 and there is F2 that is acting against the movement of object A and also growing between 0 and 1.
    When object A reaches the point 1, the force F1 becomes 0 but force F2 continues growing until object A reaches point 2.

My question is:
    If we know mass of object A, forces F1 and F2 in any given point , distances between the 3 points, how can we calculate how much will object A travel after F1 stops and if object A will be able to reach point 2 ?

Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2015 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

First, welcome to the forums.

You will want to read up on how to post to get help with your homework. You need to use the template.

Your explanation of your problem is quite confusing. It really isn't possible for me to follow what it is you are trying to do. Maybe you have an original text that you could post, using the template, so that we can see the actual question?

4. Mar 3, 2015 #3
    Hello and thanks for the quick reply!
    It is not a homework problem, I will try to attach a picture to better explain what I want.

5. Mar 3, 2015 #4
    Hello and thanks for the quick reply!
    It is not a homework problem, so I don't have a text that can fit the template I will try to attach a picture to better explain what I want.
    The object A is accelerated between points 0 and 1 and it has to travel to point 2 after the acceleration stopped, but the resisting force F2 is increasing all the way between point 0 and 2.
    So let me just ask 1 question...how much will A travel after the acceleration stops.

As an example from real life, imagine you throw a ball in a straight line.
    You accelerate the ball from start to the point when you release it.
    After that it starts to slow down but imagine the air resistance is increasing as the ball travels forward.
    how can you calculate how much will the ball travel after you release it?

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted