Calculating Muon Decay Rate using Delta Function Identity

In summary, the problem involves calculating the muon decay rate while ignoring the mass of the outgoing particles. Using the equation ##d\Gamma = \frac{1}{2E_1}|M|^2d\Pi_{LIPS}##, the attempt at a solution involves using some substitutions and reaching an expression involving a delta function. However, further analysis shows that the dimensions in the delta function do not match, indicating an error in the final expression.
kelly0303

Homework Statement

I need to calculate the muon decay rate, ignoring the mass of the outgoing particles.

Homework Equations

##d\Gamma = \frac{1}{2E_1}|M|^2d\Pi_{LIPS}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I am actually having problem with the math at a point. I reached this $$d\Gamma=\frac{mG^2|\vec{k_3}|^2}{8\pi^4}(m-2|\vec{k_3}|)\frac{sin(\theta)d|\vec{k_3}|d\theta d^3 k_4}{(|\vec{k_3}|^2+|\vec{k_4}|^2+2|\vec{k_3}||\vec{k_4}|cos(\theta))|\vec{k_4}|}\delta(m-|\vec{k_3}+\vec{k_4}|-|\vec{k_3}|-|\vec{k_4}|)$$ And I didn't know what to do. I looked online and I found something switching variables $$u^2 = |\vec{k_3}|^2+|\vec{k_4}|^2+2|\vec{k_3}||\vec{k_4}|cos(\theta)$$ $$2udu=-2|\vec{k_3}||\vec{k_4}|sin(\theta)d\theta$$ And upon replacement they get $$d\Gamma=\frac{mG^2|\vec{k_3}|}{8\pi^4}(m-2|\vec{k_3}|) \frac{dud|\vec{k_3}|d^3 k_4}{|\vec{k_4}|^2}\delta(m-u^2-|\vec{k_3}|-|\vec{k_4}|)$$ However I get something different: $$d\Gamma=\frac{mG^2|\vec{k_3}|}{8\pi^4}(m-2|\vec{k_3}|) \frac{dud|\vec{k_3}|d^3 k_4}{-u|\vec{k_4}|^2}\delta(m-u-|\vec{k_3}|-|\vec{k_4}|)$$ The step before this one, me and the solution I found have the same expression. I followed through the solution I found and in the end they reach the answer I need, so what they do is right but I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Basically they are getting $$\delta(m-u^2-|\vec{k_3}|-|\vec{k_4}|)$$ and I am getting $$\frac{1}{-u}\delta(m-u-|\vec{k_3}|-|\vec{k_4}|)$$ Is there a delta function identity to make the 2 expression equal? Or am I doing something wrong? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
kelly0303 said:

Homework Statement

I need to calculate the muon decay rate, ignoring the mass of the outgoing particles.

Homework Equations

##d\Gamma = \frac{1}{2E_1}|M|^2d\Pi_{LIPS}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I am actually having problem with the math at a point. I reached this $$d\Gamma=\frac{mG^2|\vec{k_3}|^2}{8\pi^4}(m-2|\vec{k_3}|)\frac{sin(\theta)d|\vec{k_3}|d\theta d^3 k_4}{(|\vec{k_3}|^2+|\vec{k_4}|^2+2|\vec{k_3}||\vec{k_4}|cos(\theta))|\vec{k_4}|}\delta(m-|\vec{k_3}+\vec{k_4}|-|\vec{k_3}|-|\vec{k_4}|)$$ And I didn't know what to do. I looked online and I found something switching variables $$u^2 = |\vec{k_3}|^2+|\vec{k_4}|^2+2|\vec{k_3}||\vec{k_4}|cos(\theta)$$ $$2udu=-2|\vec{k_3}||\vec{k_4}|sin(\theta)d\theta$$ And upon replacement they get $$d\Gamma=\frac{mG^2|\vec{k_3}|}{8\pi^4}(m-2|\vec{k_3}|) \frac{dud|\vec{k_3}|d^3 k_4}{|\vec{k_4}|^2}\delta(m-u^2-|\vec{k_3}|-|\vec{k_4}|)$$
This last expression cannot be right, since the dimensions in the delta function do not match (##u^2## has the dimensions of an energy squared). So there is something wrong with that. Can you show the rest of your steps, or at least the final expression?

1. How is the muon decay rate calculated?

The muon decay rate is calculated using the formula Γ = (GF2mμ5)/(192π3), where Γ represents the decay rate, GF is the Fermi coupling constant, and mμ is the mass of the muon. This formula is based on the theory of weak interactions and the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. What factors affect the muon decay rate?

The main factors that affect the muon decay rate are the strength of the weak interaction, the mass of the muon, and the energy of the muon. Other factors that can influence the decay rate include the presence of other particles and the environment in which the muon is located.

3. Can the muon decay rate be measured experimentally?

Yes, the muon decay rate can be measured experimentally using particle accelerators. By controlling the energy and environment of the muon, scientists can observe the rate at which muons decay and compare it to the theoretical predictions.

4. Why is calculating the muon decay rate important for scientific research?

The muon decay rate is important for understanding the fundamental forces and interactions of particles in the universe. It also provides valuable insight into the structure of matter and helps scientists to test and refine existing theories, such as the Standard Model.

5. Are there any applications for the muon decay rate in everyday life?

While the muon decay rate may not have direct applications in everyday life, understanding the behavior of subatomic particles can have practical benefits, such as in medical imaging and radiation therapy. Additionally, the study of particle decay rates can lead to advancements in technology and future scientific discoveries.